Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wind turbine blade counterweight - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Wind turbine blade counterweight - GIF

Wind turbine blade counterweight.

Previously:

Towing wind generator blades GIF
    wind powered sawmill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Mar 9, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Jun 3, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 26, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jun 5, 2018), MIGuy (Nov 26, 2019), Priemsy (Jun 2, 2018), Rangi (Jun 5, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 2, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    And yes, this does look like a giant version of the LEGO brick separator:

This isn't a one-off 3D print; it's an official LEGO part (#630), for separating what is now tragically known as "Classic" LEGOs. We didn't have these when I was a kid, or we didn't know they existed. Like many tools, it's largely a replacement for teeth and nails.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 5, 2018), Priemsy (Jun 2, 2018), thevillageinn (Jun 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 3, 2018), yves78 (Jun 4, 2018)

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    So, this process of adding the c'weight lets them install the last of 3 blades by positioning the recess in the blade hub horizontally to accept it?
    What did they do for the 2nd one; same thing?

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    It looks like they need the socket in the hub approximately horizontal to install the blade so I guess the 1st blade would be easy. Then the crane can lower the hook until the 2nd socket is horizontal. Only the 3rd appears to be a problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    And yes, this does look like a giant version of the LEGO brick separator This isn't a one-off 3D print; it's an official LEGO part (#630), for separating what is now tragically known as "Classic" LEGOs. We didn't have these when I was a kid, or we didn't know they existed. Like many tools, it's largely a replacement for teeth and nails.
    How about kids that didn't know LEGO'S [classic or otherwise] were going to exist, let alone 3D printing, or HMT.net?
    I'm certain creative toys evolve with generations, Lincoln Logs, Chemistry Sets, American Plastic bricks, Erector Set [probably greatest of all] brought out the mechanic/ designer in many professionals. Though comments from people I know, cite family adults or mentors being the real keystones in their development.
    How interesting would be stories behind just folks in video assembling that turbine?

I love this thread, not more than others but it's particular content. I show these blade and generator rigging GIF's to people I think appreciate what 'we' do.
    Tomorrows visitors are pretty much service industry cubicle monkeys. Few baby-boomers, lots of X-gen yuppies and post millennials. The real millennials are still away at universities. Kind of arrogant at that, thinking such positions put them driving if not leading edge of the economy.
    Oh Yeah?
    How many manufacturing and rigging contractors did this take; just one of three blades, base's three sections may be onsite already......road building machinery, concrete and asphalt plants, pipe for railings, the truck, the wheels, the tires, the seats, the safety vests, the walkie-talkies....see any raw material? Add spray paint guns...
    Those are roots of an economy.
    And I'm putting another extension of last weeks beauty in "Shop Truths..."
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 24, 2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ramping up for feisty festivities
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 5, 2018)

Thanks
    The guy at 00:37 has a job that I couldn't stomach.. Only for the brave and adventurous!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Rather than faffing about with a giant weight to rotate the hub I would think a small engine in the nacelle, akin to a winding engine for a steam engine installation, would be a simpler and safer way to get the job done.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information