Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: formers and press tool to make steam lubricator body and lid

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Thank you for viewing and interest and I hope I have answered your questions
    The Home Engineer
    Hi there Home Engineer,
    Thank you for such a comprehensive answer to my questions, and the additional info on metal flowing and the radiusing of dies etc. I am quite envious of your collecting that press, a place I worked at for nearly 18 years had a press I would love to have at home. It was an Australian made Servex, possibly with an English parent company, I don't know. That one was a 50 ton press, but I've seen similar looking Servex presses from 30 tonne to 100 tonne units. They had a 2 stage manual pump and a quick spin threaded ram to get you into position quickly before using the hydraulics. The only work I can remember being done to that press in the time I was there was the addition of safety screen doors to offer protection from shrapnel in the event of a part fracturing or flying at high speed due to mis-alignment when under considerable pressure.
    Thanks once again for your response and of course for your uploading of the pictures and story behind the construction of your Foden part(s). All the very best,
    Rob.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ropetangler For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Feb 17, 2018)

Thanks

toma's Tools
    Thehomeengenieer ...do you sleep sometimes..?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi toma
    Not much sleep lol. Once I have a bee in my bonnet I have to get it finished. There are two problems I have. First being I have way too many projects on the go and not enough time, secondly joining this forum. There are so many great ideas on here my list of projects keeps growing.

I have been very lucky during my working life and have built up a well-equipped workshop which has taken 34 years. Both my parents were so supportive of me when they were alive. When I first started model engineering at 16, Mum and Dad bought me a garden shed/workshop and helped purchase my first lathe a old Myford ML7. My Grand parents also left me some money when they past away so this was invested in a mill using my Grandads gift and my brand new Myford ML10 Lathe with my Grandmas, which I still have today. The mill was later part exchanged to purchase a Bridgeport mill. A few years later I had the bottom half of the Bridgeport mill restored professionally, and still own this mill today. There is a story behind most of the tools in my workshop but I won’t bore you anymore.
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Feb 17, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 17, 2018), that_other_guy (Apr 21, 2020)

Thanks

toma's Tools
    Yes, this site is very inspirational for handymen, and it often ads new and new ideas for making something. I also have this problem of starting with too many projects.
    Nice story about your machining tools.
    Enjoy in your projects,
    best regards.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to toma For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 17, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    [QUOTE=Ropetangler;107310]
    Like Dick, I'm curious about your press. What is the tonnage of your hydraulic press
    Photo of my press
    formers and press tool to make steam lubricator body and lid-img_0811.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 18, 2018)

Thread Information