Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Free cylindrical parallels

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Free cylindrical parallels

Hi All
    After changing a worn wheel bearing on my car some 30 plus years ago I couldn't bring myself to throw the old bearing away. I thought there must be a use for this old bearing. A few days passed and it was still sat on the bench looking at me, so I decided to cut the bearing apart just to save the brass housing for scrap.
    I then had the moment and the cylindrical rollers are precision ground, square and parallel and would make great cylindrical parallels. These are great when using the indexing head to sit the work square and parallel in the chuck but also they don't get in the way when drilling. The photos below show the cylindrical parallels in action.

Free cylindrical parallels-cylinrical-parallels.jpg selection of different size rollers removed from worn bearings.

Free cylindrical parallels-marlco-indexing.jpgRing supported on three rollers

Free cylindrical parallels-drilling.jpgPhoto showing rollers positioned to miss drilled holes.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Crusty (Jul 26, 2020), DIYSwede (Nov 30, 2019), jackhoying (Dec 3, 2019), Jon (Dec 2, 2019), olderdan (Jul 26, 2020), Saltfever (Dec 8, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 7, 2019), tony b (Jul 26, 2020), will52100 (Dec 2, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Cylindrical Parallels to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Shelly142's Tools
    Once again brilliant save, very clever.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

tony b's Tools
    Hey, That’s a great idea! You can never have too many parallels in the shop.
    �� Tony B

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information