Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fuel filler modify

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Fuel filler modify

One of the latest pickups I have acquired had a fuel filler problem in the front tank. The truck is a 91 F350 extended cab with the 7.3 diesel making it a slightly older smaller sister to my 93 F350 crew cab 7.3 diesel.
    Anyway after getting it registered and on the road I went to fill both tanks only to learn that the fuel ran out on the ground as fast as the pump could push it through the hose. NO GOOD!
    I found the culprit to be a broken rubber hose on the fill tube. These older trucks had a tube inside of the filler tube allowing the outer larger tube to be the vent and spill back it was that 2" diameter hose that was split right in the 75degree bend. So I ordered a new hose stating all of the spicifica even the web sites Ford part number. This should be an easy repair just drop the tank replace the hose re install the tank.
    OH SURE IT WILL, but only if idiots can send the correct hose. It arrived on Saturday Time to go to work but as soon as I opened the package I knew they had sent me a hose for a 1960 something truck. OK do I send it back and wait for them to hopefully send the correct one do I just put this one in stock to use another time on something else and order another one from a different company. Or do I do a Frank thing?
    The frank thing won out. Since I never have much to do anyway, I rummage around in 1 of my storage trailers and find an exhaust pipe with some nice bends in it that I had kept because it was well just because it needed keeping.
    I tank it to the band saw and make a couple of cuts then cut up the new wrong hose and this is how it turned out
    Fuel filler modify-wp_20200328_17_04_17_profu.jpg

Fuel filler modify-wp_20200328_17_25_19_profu.jpg

Fuel filler modify-wp_20200328_17_59_12_profu.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 31, 2020), Jon (Apr 3, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Mar 30, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 30, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Fuel Filler Modification to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Mar 30, 2020)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    ...LOL...I like your 'just because it needed keeping...' Many moons ago, a fellow who drove my plywood delivery truck, used to say 'Handy if you never need it!...'
    I've followed that advice for decades...and some of those 'keepers' frequently come to the front, for use in a project, and always bring a smile...Cheers
    Jim

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Apr 5, 2020)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    ...LOL...I like your 'just because it needed keeping...' Many moons ago, a fellow who drove my plywood delivery truck, used to say 'Handy if you never need it!...'
    I've followed that advice for decades...and some of those 'keepers' frequently come to the front, for use in a project, and always bring a smile...Cheers
    Jim
    Yeah, my nearly two acres is teeming with stuff that "just needed keeping". And as soon as I get rid of something......

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information