Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: furniture hobbyist

Thanks

furniture hobbyist

I'm a keen cabinet maker hobbyist. I'd like to make supports for supporting long pieces of wood while machining them. They have to be height adjustable

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,900 Times in 11,355 Posts
    Hi etie1009 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Good question; I'm going to ask some of our woodworking guys if they have ideas for you.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etie1009 View Post
    I'm a keen cabinet maker hobbyist. I'd like to make supports for supporting long pieces of wood while machining them. They have to be height adjustable
    The best designs I have seen involve a tripod base and telescoping "T" on top. It is easier to make a 4 legged base with crossed 2x4 s which will allow diagonal braces for additional stability. Usually there are 2 2x4 attached vertically to the base with a clamped or pinned slider to adjust height. The slider is capped with perpendicular 2x4 "T" top.
    Hope this is helpful, and enjoy the work.
    Last edited by John L. Foley; May 22, 2017 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

gavcon's Tools
    I use an adjustable height garment rack (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tatkraft-Adju...e+clothes+rack ), to support the outfeed table of my Shopsmith and to hold up the end of long boards for the chopsaw. One of my tenants left one when he moved out, so mine was free, but they are pretty cheap, easy to stash and they are sturdy. Downside is that it may be too tall for some applications, although I'm sure it can be fairly easily modified to a lower height range and still retain the adjustability.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavcon For This Useful Post:

grandviewdoug (May 24, 2017), Jon (May 24, 2017)

Thanks
    I'm honored to be thought of as someone with an answer to this question, but I would like to know the answer too. I hope I can travel along and see how this turns out. Thanks you.

Thanks
    I also prefer the 'tripod' style, but use 3/4" plywood rather than 2"X4"s to save a little weight. Plywood is also much less likely to warp, twist, etc. In addition, I would suggest mounting either transfer ball bearings or a conveyor roller (I prefer the ball bearings) to the top rail. That way, you're never fighting wood-against-wood friction on your outfeed. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Hello, You can buy telescopic metal feet, there are many in the trade. OR, make simple adjustable wooden feet. Or a little more sophisticated, make a hollow square foot in which an adjustable post slides.

furniture hobbyist-pied-coulissant.jpg

Thanks
    I put steel channels made from two pieces of angle iron welded together and bolted to the sides of my table saw. I have a 20" or so extension made of MDF and 2x6 that plugs into the channels I can use as a router table if on the front or a table extension if slid into the motor side. I'll take photos if you want.

I looked at those roller stands available in many places and think they would not work well. They are too light if a board hits the small roller below center it will push the stand over. For a long board you need something that's anchored, maybe with a sandbag as ballast and a larger diameter so the board is gently guided over the top if it droops. You want something that either has a continuous surface off the back of the saw or a large diameter. I made some 5" radius supports from heavy cardboard from a cable reel but never came up with a good way to hold them in place except by clamping in a workmate which is awkward.

Thanks
    I have a couple of roller stands that I was lucky enough to find at second hand and pawn shops. But have built three myself. The way I see it you can spend about $50 in material and 3-4 hours of welding plus some engine lathe time. Or spend a little bit more and buy one from anyone of half dozen companies. There is a simple way to make versatile supports. First just this week someone posted adjustable wooden legs. Combine that idea with a couple of saw horses. In my younger and poorer days I made saw horses and screwed wood to the top till I got an acceptable height. If you want to know how I would make steel, adjustable roller stands. Let me know I would be happy to help. Mike

Thanks

Outfeed material Support

Quote Originally Posted by gfabs001 View Post
    I have a couple of roller stands that I was lucky enough to find at second hand and pawn shops. But have built three myself. The way I see it you can spend about $50 in material and 3-4 hours of welding plus some engine lathe time. Or spend a little bit more and buy one from anyone of half dozen companies. There is a simple way to make versatile supports. First just this week someone posted adjustable wooden legs. Combine that idea with a couple of saw horses. In my younger and poorer days I made saw horses and screwed wood to the top till I got an acceptable height. If you want to know how I would make steel, adjustable roller stands. Let me know I would be happy to help. Mike
    I have two different ones that I use for my table saw and my metal cutting bandsaws. They both started out as bases for stand fans. The one fan gave out, the other is mounted on the ceiling now. The bases are great and adjustable via the locking collars, though I have replaced one with a large 1/4-20 knob. I use rollers that were taken out of the x-ray processing machine at work as part of routine maintenance. The rollers do not really need bearings though these would be cheap enough to procure if desired. I have a metal working shop so cobbling the other parts together was easy, although simple iron pipe and pipe flanges from the hardware store would work great. The pipe from the hardware store could also replace the rollers though you would have a weight limitation if plastic pipe was used. Good Luck.

Thread Information