Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline engine impact wrench - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    What the heck, there's always the vise grips.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    What the heck, there's always the vise grips.
    Only if you have an old pair of Petersons, the Irwins are junk compared to 30 year old Petersons

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Only if you have an old pair of Petersons, the Irwins are junk compared to 30 year old Petersons
    EVERY thing I have is older than 30 years. I had an electric drill fail the other day and after 46 years the brushes had the temerity to wear out, (trouble is, it's so bloody old that you can't buy brushes for it anymore).
    But I have a good incident going just at the moment, the manufacturers of a piece of equipment I'm repairing, use 5mm x 1.25 pitch torx socket head bolts,........there ain't no such thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    EVERY thing I have is older than 30 years. I had an electric drill fail the other day and after 46 years the brushes had the temerity to wear out, (trouble is, it's so bloody old that you can't buy brushes for it anymore).
    But I have a good incident going just at the moment, the manufacturers of a piece of equipment I'm repairing, use 5mm x 1.25 pitch torx socket head bolts,........there ain't no such thread.
    Not doubting your googling-ability; with 1.25mm is a radical pitch on a 5mm fastener. Common is 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, nor apparent taps or dies. Is it engaging plastic? How about self tapping imperial 10-32, or sheetmetal screw?

Here's a good combination of reference charts, useful when away from my laptop/ bookmarks or library.
    https://www.armstrongmetalcrafts.com...Reference.aspx
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    A #10-24 might be the closest you'll find 4.8x1.05 mm Standard coarse thread for a 5mm bolt m5x.8 fine thread m5x,5
    I recently started putting together a fractional inch tap & die set where every size is 40 threads per inch because I accidently bought a 1"-40 tap and die The thing is it seems that the 40 thread per inch taps and dies come in almost every 1/16" from 1 inch all the way down to 3/16 then the numbered sizes such as #10,8,6 &4 I have the 1/4,5/16,3/8, 7/16,1/2, 5/8,3/4, & the 1" still missing the 9/16,11/16,13/16,7/8,& 15/16" sizes once I have all the sizes I will nuild a case for them and name it my instrument thread set I have a pretty good start on a 20& 24TPI set as well and a 1/2-28 tap & die for gun smithing

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    quote "I have a pretty good start on a 20& 24TPI set as well" unquote
    Frank, where did you get the 20 tpi set, because 3/16 x 20 tpi is almost exactly 5 x 1.25?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    quote "I have a pretty good start on a 20& 24TPI set as well" unquote
    Frank, where did you get the 20 tpi set, because 3/16 x 20 tpi is almost exactly 5 x 1.25?
    I don't buy sets I buy individual taps and matching dies starting at 1inch and working my way down as I can find them.
    Not saying they don't exist because about half of the most recent taps and dies I've bought a thread dimensional chart for them can not be found in any of my several additions of the Machinery's handbook. A 3/16-20 would be a very coarse thread 24TPI is the standard coarse for 3/16", However I have found a 3/16-20 TPI acme threaded rod.
    Having personally made many thread measurement mistakes in the past are you absolutely certain about the M5-.125. Thats sounds like the 5/8-12 I ran onto a while back that I thought didn't exist until I found the tap and die on ebay Like the stupid thread on the quill of my Mill there just isn't any quill nuts or bearing shaft nuts that match it in anybody's system. I wound up single pointing a pair of nuts to match the quill shaft and they worked perfectly.
    If yoiu are absolutly positive of the size I'll keep researching, and hopefully come up with something

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    Yeh, I certain of the size and pitch. I've already "repurposed" four 6 x 1mm hex socket heads by turning them down to 5mm then recutting single point 1.25 pitch, but it's such a pain in the arse

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    Yeh, I certain of the size and pitch. I've already "repurposed" four 6 x 1mm hex socket heads by turning them down to 5mm then recutting single point 1.25 pitch, but it's such a pain in the arse
    I can just imagine, don't know what it is on and not sure if I want to. I've ran into far too much proprietary threaded stuff in my time

Thanks
    thats awesome!!!

Thread Information