Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Getting Along

Thanks

Lightbulb Getting Along

We grew up poor but we had plenty because I had a wonderful step-dad who despite having only a sixth grade education - was the smartest man I've ever known. He always said you could do anything you wanted if you just put your mind to it. I was a grown man before I realized that sometimes it takes a bit more BUT he really could do anything, build anything, fix anything - because he believed it. He also said that if somebody else was able to build one - then he should be able to as well...and always did. This site is the perfect place for me to continue that tradition. I'm an old CNC machine tool rebuilder/retrofitter/repair guy who loves gun, car, and furniture building. With a knee mill, 2 lathes, MIG/TIG/Arc/Oxy-Ace/Plasma cutter staion, press, anodizing and cerakoting set up... I can do anything I set my mind too... that and some help and ideas from others who blazed the trail before me. I hope I can impart some of what I've learned to others. It makes life worth living!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    That's a wonderful background and home setup you got there, FMJ1911. Welcome to the forums!

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,011 Times in 11,396 Posts
    Guns, cars, furniture - yup, you'll fit in well here.

What's next up on your projects list?

Thanks
    Hi FMJ1911,

Welcome - glad to have you here!

Great username, by the way! I'm with you on that score; although I've moved to JHP for defense rounds, I'll never give up my 1911.

We've got a couple of other interesting parallels, too. One of my grandfathers quit school in 8th grade to go to work after his father died and wound up being one of the wisest and most interesting guys I've ever known. Even 30+ years after his death, I still think about him all the time. A great man.

Many years ago, when I was still a relatively new pilot, a very senior instructor doing an aircraft checkout for me (in, as I recall, a turbine Bonanza) began his briefing with a simple phrase that he'd heard years before: "What one man can do, another can do." While there's sometimes a bit more to it than that in practice, the philosophy resonated with me.

Anyway…

Sounds as though you have a great machining and welding background. What are you working on at the moment?

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information