Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Russian shop set up

Thanks

jdurand's Tools

Post Getting my Russian shop set up

It certainly is an adventure moving halfway around the planet (for Flat Earthers, i moved to the flip side).

As the first Americans in this region (krai) setting up a business, the paperwork has kept our lawyer busy. Most officials have no idea how to handle American owning a Russian corporation, but... we did it. We have incorporated as OOO << Durand Interstellar >> (Durand Interstellar, Ltd. for westerners).

We're also teaching business and technology so that takes a bit of time, too.

So, what about the shop you ask? I'll list what we have so far and what the plans are.

We brought a 4x6 band saw with us in kit form. No motor, no stand, and disassembled so the movers had a better chance of not breaking it. A friend here gave me an OLD Soviet 3 phase motor for it just before he died (vaccination caused clot).

I've got the motor Jerry-rigged so we can start cutting steel to make stands, benches, etc. as needed. But, every 6 months we have to leave the country to satisfy the officials so we spent last week in the Middle East. Never ever had that much trouble getting through customs to get OUT of the Middle East and then again to get INTO Russia.

Anyway, here's the band saw, I had to bore out the pulley so it would fit the motor and don't look too closely at how the motor is mounted. I need to make a new motor mount that fits this one.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-01-24_assembling_saw.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-02-13_22-30-30.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-02-13_22-30-36.jpg

Here's our lathe, it's really hard on the legs sitting on the floor to use this, need a stand for it SOON.

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-02-13_22-30-40.jpg

That's actually the second lathe, the shipping company misplaced the first one.

And we have a milling machine on order. It should be arriving in Moscow right about now and then will be shipped here when they find a truck/train coming this way. The machine was made to order in China.

Getting my Russian shop set up-_20211227142250.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-_20211227142328.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-_20211227142332.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	微信图片_20211227142332.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	41901

Getting my Russian shop set up-_20211227142702.jpg

For some reason our electrician used really heavy gauge solid 5 conductor wire so it's going to be a real joy hooking up the three 3-phase items here. For now I just have a couple of 5 pin sockets hanging off the end of the wire, they certainly aren't going anywhere.

I did get to try out the new Hitbox inverter welder, the guy who made our fences and driveway roof got seriously injured on another job so someone else finished up. Well, our walkway gate top hinge broke off. During the heaviest snow storm here for decades. Just before we had to leave the country. So, put a spool of flux core wire in the machine, switch it to no-gas, get up on a step ladder and weld the gate back together with freezing hands and damp snow falling on me.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-01-14_gate_repair-1.jpg

I must say it worked really well and these inverter welders are sure lighter than my old transformer ones. My previous welders were the huge 250 amp AC-DC stick and a flux-core machine that I used most of the time. Only that one had a flaky wire feed but I wasn't about to spend $200 for a new feed, so just kept fixing it so it would work a bit longer. But, that showed in weld quality.

Haven't tried the plasma cutter yet, no plasma to cut.

Probably head out in the next week and pick up a load of steel, there's a few places in walking distance from here but the better prices are across town. They use a lot of 20x40mm hot rolled tube around here and also 50mm square. So, you might be seeing my stands and benches made of that tube.

We have a ton grate to make to cover the storm drain out front. The contractors only covered the driveway and walkway, but we'll want guests to be able to pull off the road without falling into the drain so we're going to run it the whole length of the property. You can see a section of it here, 20 x 40 tube and angle iron, so no big thing to make. Just a lot of welding.

That's my wife helping to dig out.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-01-26_digging_out-2.jpeg

That's about it for now, will try to get back on here more. I miss all the tool talk!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 10, 2022), uv8452 (Jun 23, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Glad you finally made it to your new home. Moving is never a fun filled adventure. When the wife and I went to Kuwait we were only going to stay there for 5 years wound up being 10. might have stayed longer but was getting burned on broken promises and contracts. Our first 2 years there it was a once-a-year thing to leave the country and return, we would take the shortest flight to the nearest country with a return flight in the next hour, after that just a matter of renewing our civil ID and get a new visa stamp in our passports. You and your wife might want to try going to the neatest country that doesn't give Americans coming from or returning to Russia a hassle until you get your semi-permanent residency visas. This world is riddled with stupidity, petty jalousies, insecurities, and narcissism in the governments

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Feb 14, 2022), uv8452 (Jun 23, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    As far as we could tell, we did go to the nearest country that doesn't hassle Americans. But American's from Russia, that's a different kettle of monkeys.

We don't have the Western vaccine so can't go to any countries run by the pharma. A lot of places have fallen out of love with Americans so can't go to them anymore.

If Ukraine would calm down we could take a train or drive over to the border, walk across, have lunch with someone we know, and then walk back to get our visa stamped.

Next trip will probably be Istanbul, depending on which way their politics are leaning by then.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 6, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    As far as we could tell, we did go to the nearest country that doesn't hassle Americans. But American's from Russia, that's a different kettle of monkeys.

We don't have the Western vaccine so can't go to any countries run by the pharma. A lot of places have fallen out of love with Americans so can't go to them anymore.

If Ukraine would calm down we could take a train or drive over to the border, walk across, have lunch with someone we know, and then walk back to get our visa stamped.

Next trip will probably be Istanbul, depending on which way their politics are leaning by then.
    If you can time it during the week of an international trades show, you may find that there are fewer hassles in several of the various countries.
    Pharma controlled countries excepted, I went to Turkey many times during 2 polar opposite American government administrations 43 & 44 I'll not dignify either one with a name, and I can't imagine having to travel anywhere by plane during the current one, at least not so long as the world media moguls think they are in charge of things, and vaxed or not vaxed doesn't appear to afford much protection from the past present and future mutations of the virus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    If you can time it during the week of an international trades show, you may find that there are fewer hassles in several of the various countries.
    That's not a bad idea at all. Even a sporting event, doesn't matter if it's not a sport we care about. International Ping Pong championship or something.

Should be fewer questions of "Why are Americans entering the country from the Middle East?" and such. Leaving the Middle East they also had us open our suitcase and went all through it, investigated a scale used to weigh suitcases, and then AHAH! Why are you taking this (over the counter) drug out of the country? Quick thinking and pointing out that the drug was purchased in Russia got him the right answer, we brought it with us, didn't need it, and are taking it home (half full).

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    When you enter the country where your home is, always have your passport to the page that had the last exit stamp from that country, they already know where you are entering from by the flight you arrived on. Many countries require a pre applied for visit visa accompanied with a questioner. The door is sometimes slammed shut for entry to some countries once you have visited another as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When you enter the country where your home is, always have your passport to the page that had the last exit stamp from that country, they already know where you are entering from by the flight you arrived on. Many countries require a pre applied for visit visa accompanied with a questioner. The door is sometimes slammed shut for entry to some countries once you have visited another as well.
    We do that with the passports but they typically close that page and go to the back, scanning forward for other visas.

We were in a country that is on friendly terms, citizens don't need visas. I know about going some places will lock you out of others, just going to Crimea (a day's drive from here) would get us locked out of Europe the last I heard. Now, how Europe would know if we were there is another question.

Back to tools, I just noticed today that I put the wrong blade on the bandsaw. I brought all our spare blades and grabbed the wrong one out of the bag. I normally run 10-14 teeth variable, bi-metal but had put on a 12. I've verified that I can buy these blades ready made here, so I won't need to order custom. I've also locally bought staples for both the wide and narrow crown pneumatic staplers and t-headed nails for that gun. i did have to change all my air fittings to EU standard from the US ones, but the pipe threads match so no problem.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Modest start, but got a delivery today. Not shown are a 600x2500 sheet of 12mm MDF, 600x2500 sheet of galvanized sheet metal, 32mm x 900mm solid rod.

Couldn't find any plate or rectangular bar at the local metal dealers, they seem to cater to the construction industry. I can order plate through them or just make a trip over to the local steel scrap yard.

So, bandsaw stand, workbench for lathe, and spare material for the next project...

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-02-19_steel.jpg

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Cost of everything delivered, about 12 745,00 rubles ($165 USD).

All local metal appears to be hot roll except for the sheet metal.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    My wife copied this to me...

Getting my Russian shop set up-r1fckqopoxgfbdmv.png

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 20, 2022), NortonDommi (Mar 6, 2022)

Thread Information