Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Russian shop set up

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Went for a walk today and ran across one of the "new" pumps they put in to keep our area from flooding. We've been having abnormally heavy rain and a LOT of snow this year.

Anyway, it works but "new" is relative. Fits right in with this forum...

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-02-20_flood_control_pump-1.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-02-20_flood_control_pump-2.jpg

Take one old truck, remove wheels and body (I would have left wheels on for towing), remove rear axel and install pump.

The reason for the flooding...

This housing development had been a large commercial fish pond and then a farm. There's a berm all the way around it with a small culvert through and with extra heavy rain it starts turning back into a pond. As some very well off people live here, pumps got ordered.

There's also an issue of the river rising but that normally only bothers the people who built near it, we're a bit uphill from there.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I've got the milling machine showing up "soon" (Russian "soon" is more of a Southern minute than a New York one). Anyway, have to get the trolley done for the hoist so I can lift the base to our loading dock, then lift the mill onto the base.

The only trolley the installer could find had a 1hp motor on it to move it with remote control. NO, I do NOT want to pay for that up there! I actually prefer moving by hand, less jerking and swinging of heavy stuff.

So, build it...

Browsing the metal sellers and scrap yard near hear didn't yield a lot of selections in heavy metal, so I'll make a "temporary" one (that word has the same permanence all over the world).

First task was decent sized flanged bearings for wheels. Found those and ordered 4. Looking at them, I probably should have gone for the bit more expensive ones but this is only temporary.

Next is making the axels to mount the bearings.

Here's a piece of 32mm hot roll I bought (it was that or tiny). Turn it down to 25mm and 20mm

Getting my Russian shop set up-1.jpg

Whack it off

Getting my Russian shop set up-2.jpg

This picture is from the first one where I threaded it first.

Getting my Russian shop set up-3.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-4.jpg

Drill and tap. Funny thing, I couldn't find my taps so while I was buying bolts I looked for taps. Found the M10 taps come two to a package. Oh well, not expensive and only choice in this store.

Getting my Russian shop set up-5.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-6.jpg

Turns out one tap is undersized! Bit of a panic. Then I tried the other tap and it's the right size. So, I've started tapping in two steps, the undersized one and the correct one. Easier cutting deep threads that way.

Both taps are marked the same, so it's not like this was intentional.

Finished axel with the bolt in from the wrong end, but it's tapped all the way through

Getting my Russian shop set up-7.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-8.jpg

to be continued...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Welcome to the world of use what you can find and you get what we have to sell not what you need or want.
    I like to make things where the fastener only holds things together, and whenever possible not dependent on shear strength.
    not knowing the design of your trolley or the loads it will see I might have tried if it were possible to machine the axles so they extended into the mounting plates even if only say a 16mm dia, step extending into the plate 3 to 4 mm, unless you are planning on welding the flanged end of axle to the plate making it a stub shaft, then I might have still left a locating boss on that end if it were location critical
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Welcome to the world of use what you can find and you get what we have to sell not what you need or want.
    I like to make things where the fastener only holds things together, and whenever possible not dependent on shear strength.
    not knowing the design of your trolley or the loads it will see I might have tried if it were possible to machine the axles so they extended into the mounting plates even if only say a 16mm dia, step extending into the plate 3 to 4 mm, unless you are planning on welding the flanged end of axle to the plate making it a stub shaft, then I might have still left a locating boss on that end if it were location critical
    I considered doing that but looking at my metal supply leaves me somewhat wanting. But, I will weld on "bumpers" that hit the stop bolts in the I-beam and will extend almost to the web of the beam. If the wheel fails the trolley will hang from the bumpers.

Also, the bolts are 5.8 M10 and the max capacity of the hoist is 500kg, so there's a safety factor in there for bouncing.

Other than carefully lifting the mill, I don't plan on this being heavily loaded in the future. I will also remove anything not securely attached to the mill before lifting, make it as light as possible.

At least it's not a BIG mill, that would be a problem.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    The hoist came with 4mm thick straps to go over a 50 x 50 beam. The bolts are in tension, M10 8.8

So, I won't be too far off. If the trolley otherwise works fine I may order some stronger bolts for the axels. Probably order a higher quality flanged bearing too.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Jerry - I certainly hope Sharon & you will escape unharmed by the "special military operation" nextdoors.

Seems like the Big Red Wheel suddenly became a Time Machine by instantly throwing the Motherland more than half a century back...

ATB
    Johan

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Jerry - I certainly hope Sharon & you will escape unharmed by the "special military operation" nextdoors.

Seems like the Big Red Wheel suddenly became a Time Machine by instantly throwing the Motherland more than half a century back...

ATB
    Johan
    Well, the US/Ukraine was warned for 8 years to knock it off or Russia would stop them. At least the US bio weapons labs have been incinerated. They US admitted to 11, there were a lot more.

Anyway, the most impact here is with our business. Because of counter sanctions we had to adjust our stock holdings so our General Manager (native R) has 51%. We took some cash out of the bank in case of need, but it looks like that wouldn't be a problem.

We were just about to start selling again and then eBay and PayPal folded up shop. So, it looks like Yandex Payments or something like that and sales only to BRICS countries.

There is an inconvenience in getting payments we receive in the USA to here, but there's so many loopholes in the USA sanctions that I'm told we'll be able to route through a BRICS country without much trouble. We just won't have the 2 hour transfers from USA to Sberbank that we used to have.

On the plus side, we had to go into the region capitol, Krasnodar for some of our immigration paperwork so stopped at METRO (a German version of Costco/Sam's Club) and bought a metric crapload of supplies. Cheaper in bulk and they have a few things that our local market doesn't have.

Oh, and Ikea has closed. Not sure if that's good or bad.

No more political comments on the forum, this isn't the place. But I'll leave you with this

Getting my Russian shop set up-10.jpeg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Mar 6, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Oh, and still working with students between things. We'll have a crowd here during spring break and will also be going on the road with some talks.

https://pyramidhope.ru/The_Workshop/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Cost of everything delivered, about 12 745,00 rubles ($165 USD).

All local metal appears to be hot roll except for the sheet metal.
    My usual preference regarding 'furniture', is hot roll. Best primer on earth.
    Sorry Frank and Eddy.....Competition for best primer on earth. I remember you banging on that section of tube, kind of impressive.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    I've got the milling machine showing up "soon" (Russian "soon" is more of a Southern minute than a New York one). Anyway, have to get the trolley done for the hoist so I can lift the base to our loading dock, then lift the mill onto the base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	42067

Turns out one tap is undersized! Bit of a panic. Then I tried the other tap and it's the right size. So, I've started tapping in two steps, the undersized one and the correct one. Easier cutting deep threads that way.

Both taps are marked the same, so it's not like this was intentional.
    Can't recall who described this earlier, but tap sets described as under and full size seemed commonplace in Europe. Unsure about how those are labeled to differentiate.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Mar 6, 2022)

Thread Information