Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Russian shop set up

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Just a status update: We had to take some time to reconfigure our business with all the sanctions flying around. Also PayPal and eBay closed up shop so looking into other payment services, probably use Yandex Money mostly.

Stores still working normally, my VISA card works fine, and my USA debit card still pays AliExpress for deliveries here. So, for us more paperwork and a delay in shipping products, but otherwise everything is "normal" (нормально).

Not sure where our milling machine is, a cargo container of machines was arriving in Moscow last week and the mill would be reshipped to us. But the manager is currently out sick with what we had so no word. Hopefully it wouldn't just show up unannounced.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Thanks for giving us an insight into your move and adjustments to one part of Russia. I watch quite a few Russian channels on machining and thoroughly enjoy the small differences in technique between countries.
    On the taps,
    "Turns out one tap is undersized! Bit of a panic. Then I tried the other tap and it's the right size. So, I've started tapping in two steps, the undersized one and the correct one. Easier cutting deep threads that way."
    They may be 'serial' taps. I like the German Volkel: https://voelkel.com/en/ taps and love their serial taps especially on tough stuff. Seem to cut a much nicer thread than the old standard type.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Mar 6, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Apr 7, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Thanks for giving us an insight into your move and adjustments to one part of Russia. I watch quite a few Russian channels on machining and thoroughly enjoy the small differences in technique between countries.
    On the taps,
    "Turns out one tap is undersized! Bit of a panic. Then I tried the other tap and it's the right size. So, I've started tapping in two steps, the undersized one and the correct one. Easier cutting deep threads that way."
    They may be 'serial' taps. I like the German Volkel: https://voelkel.com/en/ taps and love their serial taps especially on tough stuff. Seem to cut a much nicer thread than the old standard type.
    Thanks. I've marked the undersized one with tape for now. Will check in more detail for markings to tell them apart.

That would explain why there were two in the package.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Found it. One tap has a black stripe around it under the size. The other tap doesn't.*

Welcome to the world of serial taps!

Glad I accidentally use the smaller one first instead of forcing the full sized one through.

* like Russian money, I paid for a delivery partly with a pocketful of coins. The driver said "hey, these are Soviet coins!" and gave some back. Got him paid and started asking around as to how to tell. Nobody could figure out my exact question, I guess they know the coins by feel or something. I finally found out the Soviet ones have a stalk of wheat on them, the new ones have a vine.

The Soviet coins have gone into a side collection for now.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Ok, I know building standards vary on both sides of the big pond, but I wasn't expecting this...

Ceilings:

Our ceilings are green board sheetrock screwed to metal lath laying in a horizontal position (wide and short). That metal lath is then screwed to larger sheet metal beams on edge, so there's a gap of 4 inches or so (didn't measure it) between the top of the ceiling and whatever is above.

Downstairs the "above" is 20cm thick layer of prefab concrete slabs with a thick screed over it. Upstairs and in the shop the "above" is closely spaced wooden lath across the bottom of the 150mm roof beams. Above that is vapor barrier and three layers of 50mm rock wool.

So, how to hang ceiling fans? The electrician was told I needed support for fans at these locations but all I have is the wire poking through the sheetrock pretty much centered between lath. *GRUMP*

So, what to do? One hopes the metal lath is strong enough for a light weight fan (these are 3 phase solid state motors so really light).

I grabbed a magnet from a customer's project (really strong one) and found the nearest beam. Marked center and after my tea will go drill holes for the fasteners.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-03-08_finding_metal_beam.jpg

in other news, we have to move all our web/e-mail servers out of Canada by 11 March. This will start tomorrow and we'll probably be down for a day or so. If you have Norton or AVG it will tell you our site is DANGEROUS!!!!! Evil Russians!!! and all that rot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 7, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Tomorrow we start having groups of students coming by each day for quick lessons with laser etching, some machine shop stuff, and intro to welding.

Of course the head of the student club had to try welding first. Here's her video...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I always liked the reactions of my students the first time they actually did something on their own. I imagine she will cherish that flowerpot stand repair for many years
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Mar 22, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Due to limited time and restricted travel in this area (we're near that U country) we wound up having one day of mixed-age students. We quickly changed plans to demonstrations with a brief hands-on work.

Travel restrictions will be removed by the next school break and we can have more serious instruction, machine shop for people interested in it, etc.

Here's the lathe demo we did 2 days ago

https://pyramidhope.ru/The_Workshop/...on-lathe-demo/

We also did a laser etcher demo and a shop class. About half the students got to weld for a minute. The first guy said he's welded before, obviously not with FCAW.

https://pyramidhope.ru/The_Workshop/...-time-welders/

It's interesting that some of the older students were afraid to try welding, but the youngest girls were nervous but did it. I had ordered a new leather welding apron but it hasn't arrived yet. Shipping has gotten really erratic. Some things arrive in a few days, some take a LOT longer.

For our next machine shop class we should have the milling machine set up and things up on benches and the band saw on a small stand. May even get the motor mounted right with the auto-shutoff.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 7, 2022)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Progress!

Box 1 of 2 for the milling machine showed up! It went from China to Minsk in a cargo container, then from there to Moscow, from their to Krasnodar, then to here. Considering the journey it survived well. Few dings and scratches, nothing major.

Still tracking down box 2 with the x-axis motor, all the handles, stand, etc.

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-04-07_12-51-28.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-04-07_12-51-32.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-04-07_12-51-36.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-04-07_12-51-41.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-04-07_12-51-45.jpg

So, now I need to put the trolley up on the I-beam and hoist this into the shop. While waiting for Box #2 I can at least use this as a drill press. I have a vice and clamping kit here.

This isn't a knee mill, but until the base gets here it will be a kneeling mill.

Oh, and I can't test it where it is, I don't have 380V out there. So it has to get in the shop close enough to reach the socket.

No, I don't happen to have 5 wire extension cords.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm following along. Recall what a mere 1700 mile relocation took.
    When I'm out front of my building; unloading, mowing, etc, there are opportunities to meet local folks. Most are walking their dogs...those immediately producing plastic bag for droppings get an invitation. "Like to learn some welding?", or "how many 16th's are there in an inch?", and so on. I don't know why, but females look surprised yet answer quickly Yes about welding, sheet metal, machining. Some don't know about Rosie Riveter, believe it or not. I use that as a way to demonstrate "they sure as heck can".
    With your permission, video of Nadezda will prove it further!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information