Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Russian shop set up

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    feel free to give links to The Workshop stuff including the YouTube videos.

As feared, many in the USA are getting "evil, dangerous site" warnings. Need to keep up the facade of evil Russia.

Depending on how "I'll see your blocking and raise you..." machinations go, I may have to switch from YouTube to VK or something.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I had to take a break from everything for a while to first get some paperwork done for our residency stuff. That took a couple of days. Then we actually got our business started (there was much cheering), that required me installing a web store on our web page, setting it up in Russian and English, adding a couple of products (again in Russian and English) and then testing the purchase process through the first customer's bank account being debited from the QR code on our invoice through printing out the check/receipt which automatically collects our income tax and transfers it to the friendly tax people. Interesting here that income tax is paid from every sale, no filing at the end of the year unless you have special circumstances.

So, here's a few seconds of trying the trolley after tacking it. Still working with minimal tools, but slowly getting better.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I had a bunch of weeds to whack in the yard, warm weather wakes them up.

Anyway, hoist installed! There was much cheering. Now, if only the box with the rest of the mill parts would show up. It was all on the same ship that went from China around to Europe, but with the piles of sanctions getting both boxes into the country took a while. The second box should be here in a week or so, big holiday coming up so it may have to wait until after that.

So, finished welding the trolley and my wife painted it with some "blacksmith paint" we picked up at the metal store.

Attachment 42611

Attachment 42612

Get it up to the beam

Attachment 42613

Install wheels

Attachment 42614

And it's ready to rumble!

Attachment 42615

My wife said it really reverberates through the house, that roof is bolted to one wall of the house. So, no late night winching.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    There's garden hose slipped over the stop bolts at the end of the track. When I went to put it on, I found the guy who installed the beam used threaded rod and just had nuts and washers on top and bottom. I have a dislike for removable nuts on top for a safety stop, so two quick taps with FCAW and now those top nuts aren't coming off.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Finally started building the stands and tables for the shop. First is the bandsaw since it is needed for everything else. It will have a top with a lip to send coolant back to the tank. For now I have the frame for the top and the legs.

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-05-03_14-44-19-768x1024.jpg

On those legs, to mount wheels on them I did the normal nut welded to plate and welded to the bottom of the leg. Plugs were cut from 3mm plate from a scrap dealer.

Getting my Russian shop set up-vlcsnap-2022-05-03-15h27m40s900-1024x576.png

To hold the plug in place for welding I first used a magnet to position it then bent in the wall of the tube with a C clamp.

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-05-03_14-45-19-1024x768.jpg

remove magnet, tack, remove clamp, finish weld.

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-05-03_14-45-23-1024x768.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-05-03_14-45-42-1024x768.jpg

Getting my Russian shop set up-photo_2022-05-03_14-45-45-1024x768.jpg

to be continued...

Not raining today so I need to go whack down the weeds before they get up to the second story.
    Last edited by jdurand; May 4, 2022 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I'm still getting used to thin wall tube, most of what I've done in the past is thick wall, bar, plate, and some aluminum. It doesn't seem right to be welding with less than half the wattage our tea kettle uses.

I guess there's not much concern about the welder overheating.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My problem with the thin wall stuff is to me it always seems I need to add more bracing for rigidity than with thicker materials, which leads to more work and more material, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with what is available
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    My problem with the thin wall stuff is to me it always seems I need to add more bracing for rigidity than with thicker materials, which leads to more work and more material, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with what is available
    Since this is a pretty lightweight item, the thin wall should be fine. But for other stuff the bigger tubing has thicker walls. I guess since it's used for fence a lot they had to go thicker or everything would fall over.

I can also weld on it without too much fear of vaporizing the tube. On the thin stuff I'm using 33 amps and 13 volts for 1mm FCAW wire.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    One of the local steel places has online ordering from their central warehouse. Much wider selection, 5% discount, delivered to our driveway. Time to start a shopping list...

Picked up a couple of heavy packages today from the Ozon (like Amazon) pickup point. I wonder how many people show up with their own dolly?

Anyway, hoist works! Rolls nicely but of course this is nowhere near a full load.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-05-05_hoist-1.jpeg

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-05-05_hoist-2.jpeg

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-05-05_hoist-3.jpeg

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Today was a fairly easy day, shelves we had ordered for the workshop arrived so we set them up. Now we have a place to put tools and forget where they are.

Getting my Russian shop set up-2022-05-06_workshop_shelves.jpeg

Yes, i took the picture before all the bolts were in. Finished now.

Thread Information