Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grease applicator - GIF

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Ha Ha, very funny that some don't see it. I used to use an excellent product like Fast Orange but it went of the market. It was fairly gritty and needed a special pump that was s/s mostly and quite expensive. Of course, excuse pun, one could pour grom container but was thick so could be wasted & then the container needed cleaning.

Marketing!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 12, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    Ha Ha, very funny that some don't see it. I used to use an excellent product like Fast Orange but it went of the market. It was fairly gritty and needed a special pump that was s/s mostly and quite expensive. Of course, excuse pun, one could pour grom container but was thick so could be wasted & then the container needed cleaning.

Marketing!
    Its still sold here and quite popular but no where near as good as a product that was called ZEP it may still be around but haven't seen any in a long while.
    A company that I did contract welding and mobile machining for bought it by the barrel then refilled their inverted hand cranked pump go-jo containers, for washing up that were scattered all around their shops.
    The guy that owns the truck I'm working one makes sure that I never run out of things like shop towels, hand cleaner hydraulic oil, antifreeze ATF, motor oil, gear oil, tube grease, trailer hub oil, lights DOT air lines, brass fittings, hub seals, and a lot of other things. His line of thinking is that if he or one of his friends pass through in the middle of the night and happens to need something for the truck or trailers I will have it here. Plus it makes their bill a lot cheaper, especially when he drops his rig off if I don't have to run to town for things.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 12, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Good News. You can clean up for supper.
    https://www.zep.com/
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 12, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Good News. You can clean up for supper.
    https://www.zep.com/
    yeah not sure why it is not still green maybe purple has more sex appeal

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 13, 2020)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Thanks guys for info. I think Zep may have been the brand name : round container about 1/2 gallon(2 Litres) large lid & screwed into applicator. Used arm to depress s/s lever & catch glug in other hand. Very citrus like and cut through sump oil & grease like a hot knife in butter. I tried sourcing here even on limited net in those days with no avail. Fast Orange is good enough for me nowadays as I do mostly woodwork. Fast orange doesn't remove enamel etc but small amt left wears off soon which i think is better & cheaper than using thinners or gloves.
    Talking about dinner it's breaky time for me.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    For one of the fireworks shows we worked on a guy brought a tub of disposable hand wipe towels from the oil refinery he works at. I've seen less aggressive rasps! Might be good for getting oil off, not so much for wiping your face after a day of setting up racks in July.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It was a shop repairing printing equipment; worst silicone based grease and ink possible. We used woven synthetic towels like that, red and a lighter red in a chevron-like pattern. Not an ideal facial scrub. Very coarse; I blame my personality on those.
    My joke about them regarded finger print eradication; started quips about witness protection programs.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 14, 2020 at 12:06 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    It was a shop repairing printing equipment; worst silicone based grease and ink possible. We used woven synthetic towels like that, red and a lighter red in a chevron-like pattern. Not an ideal facial scrub. Very coarse; I blame my personality on them.
    My joke about them regarded finger prints; started quips about witness protection programs.
    if its not rough it can't be tough. Knew a guy who worked on delicate micro sized things he used facial tissues to wipe his hands with and complained that some brands were not soft enough for his skin. Personally I don't mind using burlap as facial tissues when you have a honker you need to expel from your nasal cavities burlap will do just fine. I used to use a uniform service to provide me with shop towels that dry-cleaning solution smell in them to me meant they would be absorbent and rough enough to rub the grime off your hands and everything else. I now have to wash my own shop towels most will be caked with grease and grime never just soiled I wouldn't dare put a load of them in the washing machine before plunger washing them in 5 gallon buckets of extremely hot water and the KBS klean solvent several times then hand wringing them and doing it again and again then finish off with dawn dish detergent more rinsing then hang to dry that red dye in those things will never completely stop leaching out until they are a pale pink in color

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 14, 2020)

Thread Information