Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ground effect demonstration - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

Ground effect demonstration - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Aug 29, 2022), EnginePaul (Aug 29, 2022), freddo4 (Aug 29, 2022), Little Rabbit (Sep 4, 2022), metric_taper (Aug 29, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 29, 2022), Rangi (Aug 30, 2022)

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    A slow motion video of a pelican landing would be a more convincing demonstration in my view, as I'm sure extra lift was gained from the updraft provided by the curved surface moving forward underneath.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Aug 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I also think that demonstration is more about the updraft created by the artificial cliff and the apparent wind created by walking. It is like slope soaring. Wind blowing onshore, hits a cliff along the beach and deflects upward. Bird, hang gliders, pilots, all use it.

Pelican the pelicans are using ground effect. They are also so cool to watch.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Inner (Aug 30, 2022), Rangi (Aug 30, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inner For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 30, 2022), hemmjo (Aug 30, 2022), piper184 (Aug 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    A slow motion video of a pelican landing would be a more convincing demonstration in my view, as I'm sure extra lift was gained from the updraft provided by the curved surface moving forward underneath.
    Yes agree that is called slope lift and is often used by model glider pilots with specific slope soarers. If a column of air (wind aproaches a slope it would move over the slope up to a height of the slope thus creatin lift right in front of the slope.

Ground effect does not create lift but suports an object just above the surface of the ground or water surface with a compressed "bubble". The object still needs propultion and wings although smaller than conventional

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I also think that demonstration is more about the updraft created by the artificial cliff and the apparent wind created by walking. It is like slope soaring. Wind blowing onshore, hits a cliff along the beach and deflects upward. Bird, hang gliders, pilots, all use it.

Pelican the pelicans are using ground effect. They are also so cool to watch.
    Sept 1997. Return trip from Catalina Island back to Long Beach CA, an albatross flew parallel to my course and matched speed, displaying very little effort to do so. Even turned it's head a couple times with a "that's all you got?" look. I think this went on 5 minutes or more, until throttled back entering bay traffic.

Up till then, I was trimming twin outboard V6 Mercury 2 stroke 225hp into most perfect plane attainable over a wind astern 3' chop at 5500 rpm redline. That 31' 6" Chris-Craft Scorpion stand up center console did 60mph in those conditions, broken water ideal for that modified V hull.
    So asked why 3 of us partnered on that boat. 2 of us liked offshore fishing, and each a hotrodder.
    I told people "because Ferrari's don't float..."
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Aug 31, 2022), Inner (Aug 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Yep, the albatross was slope soaring on your invisible "bow wave", and you were all better for having that awesome experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Yep, the albatross was slope soaring on your invisible "bow wave", and you were all better for having that awesome experience.
    '
    Until this instant hadn't occurred to me he might have found/ known the ground effects - boundary layer. He was off the bow, but 10' or 12'. Didn't seem to exert much effort but wing action seemed pronounced, not fast but deep.

It's a good experience and memory. Seems I have a good deal of those regarding various animals, domesticated and otherwise. Yes, some were delicious too.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information