Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I've seen a lot of pipeline welders get their mask right down a few inched from where they were welding and the smoke haze would be engulfing them. I'd say dude if you are having a hard time seeing the bead get a cheater magnifying lenz for your helmet and get your head out of the cloud you will live longer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I have been wondering of late that most of these enforced new regulations are simply to generate VAT income for the government. The same has happened in the housing rental market as I have just been forced to spend close to £10 grand to allow me to rent one property, thats a lot of VAT @ 20%. they do not care if suppliers double their prices as they just get more. Tradesmen having to pay for enforced courses and update their equipment on a regular basis, we are on the 18th edition of electrical regs on a system that was already regarded as the safest in the world.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I have been wondering of late that most of these enforced new regulations are simply to generate VAT income for the government. The same has happened in the housing rental market as I have just been forced to spend close to £10 grand to allow me to rent one property, thats a lot of VAT @ 20%. they do not care if suppliers double their prices as they just get more. Tradesmen having to pay for enforced courses and update their equipment on a regular basis, we are on the 18th edition of electrical regs on a system that was already regarded as the safest in the world.
    Sometimes the regulations can get downright silly...

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-death.jpg
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 23, 2019), olderdan (Apr 23, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    If thats for real its priceless, I dont know where you find this stuff but keep it coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Yeah who are they going to fine the dead guy who touched the wires or the surviving family who knew nothing of his intentions to touch them
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    If thats for real its priceless, I dont know where you find this stuff but keep it coming.
    I collect pictures of signs. Some are puzzling...

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-close_gate.jpg

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-do_not_read.jpg

some are funny...

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-cocking.jpg

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-farfrompoopen.jpg

and some are just plain incomprehensible...

Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-gay_walrus.png
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Apr 24, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    This is where I started

Fresh air breathing system.pdf

Face mask filter selection.pdf

Breather-hood.stl

Breather-Taper.stl

Breather-Tophat.stl

fan interface.stl

Mask interface.stl

I liked the funky breather system for $115, I wonder how long the motor would last, wasn't a great fan of the filter being at the front but i guess it wouldn't be too much hassle to frig the thing.

For reference the 12v hairdryer is crap. farting into a vacuum tube would be more beneficial.

Got to keep trying for a tool of the week T shirt, Problem is mine will have JASON on it (a tool)
    Last edited by MeJasonT; May 2, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    My sign choices
    Guys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-b56e8a9e816d42b999add389fd3f5a03.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-3fba5babf8e1599109d4f5d97325a3c8.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-6a3d8dc6469f08ba62533c98031750a8.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-8eb2fde6806409a1901cbf6875992ee2.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-48e0db2c6b97e3d7fc467667a25d19a6.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-861bde1a194bd9f6ca5c9c5a43653bd3.jpgGuys, we need a challenge - welding respirator-mv5bztblztnjywutota1zc00nmzilwi1nmqtodm4ntkyowm5ndhixkeyxkfqcgdeqxvynzyymzeynjk%40._v1_.jpg
    & Pob
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Hans Pearson (Apr 26, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    This wheel has already been invented.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...irators-m00482
    But $2000USD it's pricey.
    This was the first hit on search for "welding helmet with air filtration", so there probably are many other suppliers.
    3M has one titled FRESH AIR WELDING HELMET SYSTEM, which used compressed air with a vortex tube, similar to mining equipment. But it's ~$1600USD.
    I've looked for this before, but just for cooling air, as I get's real irritated when my eye glasses, and the shade glass fog up.
    3M has also "Adflo" battery operated system to be used with Speedglas masks & helmets.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/speedgla...mets-us/adflo/

I have used them 10 years. Now i have 9100 fx model.
    Battery lasts 8 hours continous use. Filters about month to two in daily 8h welding. Helmet has seals and blower keeps positive pressure inside it, keeping dust out.

Here those are about 500$ each.

That compressed air purifier is great too, air temperature can be adjusted between cool to warmish ( with friction heater) Great option specially in hot weather.

I have used that when welding inside containers etc.
    Big minus is, that you need to change filters regularly ( monthly) , even if you haven't used it very much.

I don't know why, moisture, oil or something makes it great for bacterial culture.. and when used with too old filters you get atleast a flu or infection. I have got nasty flu from it couple times, that is a good reminder.

Bonus is that three welders can use same filter, if compressor is big enough.

I have used Racal, Esab and 3M respiration systems during my 20 years in welding. 3M adflo has been most reliable, comfortable and cheapest to use.

Idea about making respirator is good, it shouldn't be difficult.
    I think it should be based to use " Third party " filters.
    Batteries, 3D printed casing, and a small radial blower..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Apr 26, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    From 69GTO's link, i have found the fan - its 12v and used to cool PC's. Guess what i've bought the fan to play with. I'm still thinking an old cordless drill for the power pack and charger, not using the motor as it will kill the battery in 30 mins of welding. My other attachments should still work with it so lets see how it goes.

Toumas, thanks for your input and suggestions. 3M is my weapon of choice, i have a twin filter face mask already so the plan would be to make the air breather system interchangeable between the 3M mask and the welding mask and use the 3m filters for our fans intake, how does that sound. Already have a 3D model of the filter socket so no need to reinvent the wheel.

Do you have issues with the compressed air systems filters if you take them out of the system when its not in use and keep them in ambient surroundings (eg. an office) to dry naturally and not sit in stale air which obviously causes major health issues.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Apr 30, 2019 at 05:32 AM.

Thread Information