Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Handheld blueberry harvester - GIF

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Just what I don’t need, a harvester that has a heavy air hose and/or compressor to drag around with it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Just what I don’t need, a harvester that has a heavy air hose and/or compressor to drag around with it.
    Sure you do, Just mount an air compressor on your ATV toss a capture net around the base of the bush shake the bush from several places pick up the net dump the blueberries in a bin on the back of your side by side and move on to the next bush. If your are picking berries on the halves you will have so many berries for the wife to make pies cakes muffins bagels or put on your cereal, you'll be tired of blue berries in a week. If you pick too many berries the farmers usually will buy part or all of your half from you and thank you for harvesting so many.
    the wife and I was visiting her sister once in Indiana they decided it would be a thrill to drive across the state line to Michigan and pick cherries like that So we planned to go the next day. That evening I went to a sporting goods store and bought a 20 ft by 20 ft minnow sein then cut a slot from 1 side to the center I rolled it up. the next day I had it rolled and strapped to my back under my jacket when we checked in with the farmer they handed everyone the tiny little plastic bucket to put their cherries in they picked. I spied a half bushel basket laying there and grabbed it then strode off leaving everyone thinking I had lost my mind. I located a heavily laden tree well off from all of the other pickers spread my net under the tree climbed the 3 legged step ladder provided by the farmer then stepped over in the tree and shook it for all I was worth. Climbed down filled my basket rolled up my net and returned it under my jacket then went and exchanged the basket for another
    I filled basket after basket until one of the ones I was with signaled that they were tired and ready to leave they brought their little buckets in and collected their due from the tally sheet it was evident they ate as many berries as they turned in or it would have seemed some took the cherries others took cash 2 , 3 ,4 maybe as much as $5.00. When the farmer asked my if I wanted my half or did I prefer the cash.
    I said cash please or check if you'd rather. When he handed my 3 crisp $50.00 bills everyone's eyes were as big as the crowns on those cherry trees they should have been harvesting instead of playing.
    I just said WHAT? You gals told me we were coming here to pick cherries not to gouge ourselves on stolen berries, Why do you think the farmer has those half and bushel baskets stacked up over there? His business is growing cherries and he hopes to make a profit doing so, not fill the bellies of everyone who enters his orchard. Then I handed him back 2 of the fifties. This should cover what they ate and should have been picking I told him.
    I made friens with a farmer and an enemy of a wife and her 5 sisters but they got over it.
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 21, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Battery power may work instead of air for this application.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Pat

Thread Information