Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Handheld potato slicing technique - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Why? when some horrible so-and-so is just going to eat it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Pride in your work. Some Chefs get paid more than Engineers and for good reason.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Tip of the knife hits before the rest leaving a gap that prevents the cut from going all the way through. Those cleavers are hella sharp too! Whole schools to teach blade care.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    Pride in your work. Some Chefs get paid more than Engineers and for good reason.
    I've eaten in some of the finest and fanciest restaurants imaginable when attending engineering conferences in many countries, the prices of the meals were criminally obscene. It always seemed the higher the price and the fancier the spread the smaller the portions, the higher the number of courses, and the longer the time it took to finish the meals usually meant the palatability of the food was lower than a fast food cardboard burger, many were so bad that you almost would rather have had a stale bologna sandwich on moldy bread.
    So don't tell me that some chef's are more deserving of higher salaries than engineers. If I'd have been the owner of some of those establishments the whole staff would have been terminated and a staff from a lowly Diner would have been their replacements.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Oct 29, 2019), Slim-123 (Oct 30, 2019), that_other_guy (Oct 20, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 1, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Very well said Frank, food should be a pleasure not an art form.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Very well said Frank, food should be a pleasure not an art form.
    I don't play with food when I prepare it I preseason to taste then cook to edible quality. It is going to come out the other end just the same as that fancy dancy stuff and probably a whole lot more nutritious while going through.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    olderdan, Tell that to the bride!

Thanks
    Folks, chefs today are artists whose work is then destroyed by the consumer. It’s the most ephemeral art form, some of the dishes I prepared took three or four days to make, then some diners treat it like fuel, not appreciating the art at all. Food should look great, smell better and then taste even better. People who just hoe in and scarf it down like crazy are considered barbarians who do not appreciate the true value of what they are destroying.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Folks, chefs today are artists whose work is then destroyed by the consumer. It’s the most ephemeral art form, some of the dishes I prepared took three or four days to make, then some diners treat it like fuel, not appreciating the art at all. Food should look great, smell better and then taste even better. People who just hoe in and scarf it down like crazy are considered barbarians who do not appreciate the true value of what they are destroying.
    They might also be hungry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Oct 20, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Sorry Drew but food has one purpose to be consumed for sustenance. I have taken 3 or 4 days to prepare certain meats to be placed in a smoker for 13 to 18 hours but when it comes out it is time to eat it A 30 gallon pot of chili should take a minimum of 22 hours to cook but may take an additional 12 hours to cut up the meant and other ingredients. most cuts of steak needs to age a few days at 34°f put a rub n them if you must but when it is time to cook them sear both sides on a flat grill that is as close to red hot as you dare then cook them over an open grill to suit some like theirs rare and that's OK some like theirs well done and that's OK too at least the juices have been seared in so that even a well done steak won't be dried out. a meatloaf with 2 lbs of ground 3 eggs 2 halves of large bell peppers finely diced a whole large onion diced and 1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers 3 medium sized Jalapeno peppers thinly sliced 1 medium sized diced tomato 1 whole garlic extra crushed with sage cumin oregano black pepper a medium pinch of sea salt all mixed together, then covered with a dark ketchup placed in a tightly covered pan then bake on the middle shelf @ 350° for 3 hours then uncovered for an additional 10 minutes @ 450° Foil wrap several medium sized potatoes and place in the oven around the meatloaf pan after 1 1/2 hrs when done toss your favorite salad and serve right from the baking pan while hot serves 6 and can or should be able to be consumed during a normal television commercial break or about 7 minutes

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Oct 20, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 1, 2021)

Thread Information