Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Handheld potato slicing technique - GIF

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Sorry Drew but food has one purpose to be consumed for sustenance. I have taken 3 or 4 days to prepare certain meats to be placed in a smoker for 13 to 18 hours but when it comes out it is time to eat it A 30 gallon pot of chili should take a minimum of 22 hours to cook but may take an additional 12 hours to cut up the meant and other ingredients. most cuts of steak needs to age a few days at 34°f put a rub n them if you must but when it is time to cook them sear both sides on a flat grill that is as close to red hot as you dare then cook them over an open grill to suit some like theirs rare and that's OK some like theirs well done and that's OK too at least the juices have been seared in so that even a well done steak won't be dried out. a meatloaf with 2 lbs of ground 3 eggs 2 halves of large bell peppers finely diced a whole large onion diced and 1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers 3 medium sized Jalapeno peppers thinly sliced 1 medium sized diced tomato 1 whole garlic extra crushed with sage cumin oregano black pepper a medium pinch of sea salt all mixed together, then covered with a dark ketchup placed in a tightly covered pan then bake on the middle shelf @ 350° for 3 hours then uncovered for an additional 10 minutes @ 450° Foil wrap several medium sized potatoes and place in the oven around the meatloaf pan after 1 1/2 hrs when done toss your favorite salad and serve right from the baking pan while hot serves 6 and can or should be able to be consumed during a normal television commercial break or about 7 minutes
    So what you’re saying here Frank is that all a bridge has to do is carry people and vehicles, who cares if it’s bloody ugly!
    Just because something is functional doesn’t mean it can’t be pretty too.
    If people want cardboard burgers, they can eat cardboard burgers. Some people want the whole silver service experience and are willing to pay for it. TANSTAAFL is the rule in fine dining. It’s not just a meal, it’s an experience, and hopefully a good memory too.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    So what you’re saying here Frank is that all a bridge has to do is carry people and vehicles, who cares if it’s bloody ugly!
    Just because something is functional doesn’t mean it can’t be pretty too.
    If people want cardboard burgers, they can eat cardboard burgers. Some people want the whole silver service experience and are willing to pay for it. TANSTAAFL is the rule in fine dining. It’s not just a meal, it’s an experience, and hopefully a good memory too.
    Your getting the idea. Gray tools of Canada are some ugly wrenches compared to Snap-on but they are tougher will not slip in your hands only require dousing in solvents and wiped off Snap-on are shiny slick thinned down far too much hard to get a good grip on and if you pull on them hard enough to loosen a rusted bolt unless you have heavy calloused hands like mine you will tear your hide right off Proto are even uglier but will outlast a set of Snap-On wrenches.
    The golden gate is one of the ugliest long span bridges in the world but millions of tons of traffic cross it every day the only reason it is high maintenance is the harsh environment setting it was constructed in the George Washington is even uglier but look how long it has been there
    the empire state building was built to withstand just about anything the Architects wanted to try and make it pretty by adding a bunch of gargoyle like sculptures to it if they all were to fall off the building would still be standing and functional
    Architects are an engineers worst nightmare.
    Does anyone know the story of galloping Girdie the designers wanted a slim sleek looking structure that would not be such an obtrusive structure blocking the view. I forget his name but it was rumored that one lone engineer said the bridge would fail in its first year and would have no part in the construction turned out he was horribly correct
    decorated architecturally structured food is nothing more than eye candy its only purpose is to be consumed if the artfully engineered plateful increases the nutritional value then that is good if not then there is little reason for it.
    If turning a potato into a lattice structure seals in the nutrients so they are not lost in the process of cooking it, while enhancing the flavor then sure have at it the consumer will thank you for it even though they may not know they are thanking you while they stab it with their fork and cut with the knife.
    When you see them committing the immortal sin of pouring ketchup or shaking salt and pepper over it then there can only be 2 reasons for them doing so 1 it is a habit and they always do this or 2 there is so little taste they feel their food needs doctoring to make it palatable enough to be consumed.
    Herbs and spices needs to be added in the cooking process with only just enough salt to cause a chemical reaction between the herbs and other spices to permeate into the entre which brings out the flavor. After something is cooked you can dump every spice or condiment in the world on it dish and still not create the taste you would have had you added just a little during the preparation.
    Its just me but given a choice between function over form, function is going to get my vote every time.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Oct 20, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 1, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Yay Frank, I worked as a curry chef in a restaurant in Sydney many years ago, and I agree, once a curry is a curry, you cannot change it's spots.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Never was a chef in a restaurant but did supplement my income a few times while in college as a fry cook in a diner, hated the job hated the type and quality of UH! food that was served there But frequently prepared as many as 300 plates for breakfast patrons in just over an hour, and once while Stationed in Germany The company I was assigned to was hosting a battalion banquet. The senior mess Sgt. had a sudden severe appendicitis attack and had to be rushed to the hospital just as he began preparations for the meal to serve a 1000 people, I was the MTR sgt of the Battalion motor pool but me and the Battalion Xo had frequently spent a lot of time early in the mornings in the kitchen drinking coffee with him, the XO and I volunteered to take care of the preparations for him since the assistant mess Sgt was on leave. With the assistance of the mess hall staff we pulled off what became known as the Executive oilcan dinner. Who knew that a Major could cook?
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Blade is held at slight angle between cutting edge and work top; doesn't cut all the way through. Sort of a paper doll procedure. Then it's turned over, next series of cuts not parallel to first set.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I remember when I could squat like that. No, I guess I don’t.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Harvey Melvin Richards's Tools
    I can still squat like that. However, I can’t get back up, and once I did get up my knees would be screaming for days.

Thanks

12L14's Tools
    Guess who:

„I used to cut vegetables in the kitchen. String beans had to be cut into one *inch
    pieces. The way you were supposed to do it was: You hold two beans in one hand, the
    knife in the other, and you press the knife against the beans and your thumb, almost
    cutting yourself. It was a slow process. So I put my mind to it, and I got a pretty good
    idea. I sat down at the wooden table outside the kitchen, put a bowl in my lap, and stuck a
    very sharp knife into the table at a forty*five*degree angle away from me. Then I put a
    pile of the string beans on each side, and I'd pick out a bean, one in each hand, and bring
    it towards me with enough speed that it would slice, and the pieces would slide into the
    bowl that was in my lap.
    So I'm slicing beans one after the other ** chig, chig, chig, chig, chig ** and
    everybody's giving me the beans, and I'm going like sixty when the boss comes by and
    says, "What are you doing?"
    I say, "Look at the way I have of cutting beans!" ** and just at that moment I put a
    finger through instead of a bean. Blood came out and went on the beans, and there was a
    big excitement: "Look at how many beans you spoiled! What a stupid way to do things!" and so on. So I was never able to make any improvement, which would have been easy ** with a guard, or something ** but no, there was no chance for improvement.”

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by 12L14; Oct 8, 2023 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information