Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Has anyone made a kitchen faucet?

Thanks

Stokestack's Tools

Has anyone made a kitchen faucet?

Hi all. I'm pretty disenchanted with the current state of kitchen faucets. They suffer from several trends I detest:

1. Putting the handle on the side and having it move front-to-back to change temperature
    2. Not indicating which direction is hot or cold
    3. Compounding #2 by often (but not always) defying the logic that you'd apply to figure out which way is hot or cold, by making the water hot if you push the handle back. That's backward: If you rotate the handle to the front of the faucet, "back" would become right, which is always cold.

I did find some that don't suffer from these defects, but they're at least $1600!

So... I'm thinking that at some point I'll have to make one out of copper, to go with my pounded-copper sink. Unfortunately there's only one hole drilled in the marble counter for the faucet.

I also want to retain the pull-down sprayer function, and add a hot/cold mix lever that can stay set at a comfortable warm setting for washing dishes and allow us to turn the thing on and off without losing that setting.

I don't have machining equipment, but I'm not afraid to take up brazing or welding at some point. So... I think that's about it!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I know John Brittin did, they can be seen in part 1 of a series here: https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/bri...visionary-1993 at 02.44. From memory somewhere it shows him making them.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Stokestack's Tools
    Thanks! I'm intrigued to watch that show.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information