Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Heavy tire controlled explosion test - videos

Thanks
    Back in the 80's I had just gotten on the interstate and was thinking about passing an 18 wheeler when all of a sudden there were split-rings bouncing down the interstate and the truck was headed into the median. If I had been passing the truck at that time I and my family would have been killed. Every since then I spend as little time as possible next to big trucks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WyoGreen For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Feb 27, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WyoGreen View Post
    Back in the 80's I had just gotten on the interstate and was thinking about passing an 18 wheeler when all of a sudden there were split-rings bouncing down the interstate and the truck was headed into the median. If I had been passing the truck at that time I and my family would have been killed. Every since then I spend as little time as possible next to big trucks.
    If the bead ring was bouncing down the highway then it can only mean the driver lost a steering tire as those would have been the only wheels with the split ring facing out without being trapped by another tire assembly

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    Anyone know where this one happened? Or can see a clue in the pic? I wonder if this truck stop is at the bottom of a steep hill or something; that would offer a decent explanation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 24, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I've looked at the wheel, and when the trailer stops, it appears the wheel is leaning out like a hub bearing failure. Those can cause a lot of heat very quickly and even catch fire.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loose Ctrl For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Feb 27, 2019)

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    I had a tire explode due to brake shoes dragging causing the rear wheel bearing to go out, and increase pressure in tire from heat. We were getting ready to go to my daughters house for 4th of July party and while I had just went in the house after getting home with a car on trailer and getting ready to clean up, we heard a loud bang. Sounded like a cannon went off I went outside and after looking around, saw smoke coming from rear of the truck and it was leaning. We needed to leave but I was afraid to leave it like that so I drove it away from the house just to the end of the garden hose and hosed it about 15 mins while I was cleaning up. It was far enough from the house, if there was something I missed it would not burn the house down. I had other trucks so I never did bother with fixing it. I would have to change the whole rear axle.
    Another time I had a tread let loose while doing about 80 on a 4 lane. I had gotten a ticket a few weeks before and I was advised by the nice policeman that perhaps I should follow instead of trying to be the leader. I was on the way home from work doing about 70 behind a group and got passed by a much faster crowd. I decided I wanted to follow them. All of a sudden it sounded like the bottom had fell out and I was driving my old ratrod truck that I had subframed which made me think perhaps my welds had let go and I had just bought the farm. I happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw the tread coming down after it took flight. It opene up the rear of the fender like a can of sardines, tore off the tailight and bent part of the top rail of the bed. The truck is 53 Ford with all the drive train from 79 Firebird. I had junkyard tires on it that looked brand new. The tire did not go flat but I could not go faster than 30 miles an hour the last 20 miles to home due to no braking on that wheel. The next day, I went and spent $500 on new tires.Heavy tire controlled explosion test - videos-20190224_184210-1-.jpg I put the old truck together in 94 and still have it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stillldoinit For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Feb 27, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Back in my early car days I remember a few times blowing a retread casing, it happened more than once.
    It sure does make a lot of noise.

Ralph

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Heavy tire controlled explosion test - videos-20190224_184143.jpg I thought this pic went with the other one but I did not see it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information