Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hello from SW Va

Thanks

Hello from SW Va

Hello

My name is Tom and I'm originally from Fairfax, Va but live in Christiansburg now (near Virginia Tech).

I've played with cars and been around construction all of my life, and have a BS in Computer Engineering. One area that I've always wanted to learn was welding. With carpentry, electronic, and mechanical skills welding seemed to be the missing link to being able to make all sorts of cool stuff.

I work a lot of hours, but recently started to spend a little more time on fun projects, so have been playing with a little Lincoln Mig welder I bought before I moved down here. A few cracks in the frame of my garden tractor forced me to get it out and start playing with it.

The good news is that after a little playing I got it all working and got the cracks fixed. The bad news is they're ugly as sin.

The cool thing though is that this got the spark going (pun intended) and I'm interested in making more stuff.

So my next project is to make the oblatory cart for my welder! Searching for ideas I found this forum and have to say I'm blown away with some of the things folks have made. I'm excited and can't wait to get some metal and build a cool welding cart now.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be learning more than giving back right now, but hope that I can share what I know and of course, develop skills to make cool projects to the level that I see here.

Tom

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi Tom,

Welcome!

Sounds as though you're off to a great start on your welding adventures. A good cart is essential; let's see some photos as the build progresses.

What's next on the project list?

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    After the welding cart, I'm thinking of building a tool chest/storage unit or a stand for my bench top drill press.

I'm leaning towards the tool storage as I'd like something for all of my air and power tools. So I need/want spaces for all of them to fit. Plus having a neat shop makes it so much easier to work on other things when everything has a nice space where it is kept and put back to.

Of course that will require making a sheetmetal brake so that will probably be an excuse to make a new tool and learn how to use it.

It never ends.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,850 Times in 4,235 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Be careful with making a place to put things. pretty soon everything will have a place.Then you will want more things, after that everyplace winds up having several things. then you have to make more places and the cycle starts all over again
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Be careful with making a place to put things. pretty soon everything will have a place.Then you will want more things, after that everyplace winds up having several things. then you have to make more places and the cycle starts all over again
    Now now. You know that's so right. But I have so many duplicate tools from them being unorganized that I'd rather spend money buying the few things I don't have!

I really don't "need" any more hand tools, so some new hoses for the torch and then some bigger things like a lathe would be nice. Of course that's not happening anytime soon as budget won't allow. So in the mean time, I'd just like to get order and a few projects done to get some creative juices flowing!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 1,658 Posts
    That's a nice skill set to have to complement your interests, HokiePhd! Welcome to the forums.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information