Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Help with a ring roller

Thanks

bullchuck's Tools

Thumbs up Help with a ring roller

So I decided to build a ring roller to make MY OWN rings. I have it completed and now I just need to fine tune it. The two bottom rollers are driven together. When I put the metal in and put pressure on it , then turn the handle the rollers just slip on the metal and will not feed. The rollers are very smooth.The only thing I can think of doing is to have the rollers knurled, to help feed the metal. dose any body have any other suggestions.
    any help would be great.Help with a ring roller-2015-01-24-16.23.53.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bullchuck For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jan 26, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts
    Hi bullchuck. That's a nice roller. Is the pressure enough? Try adding some rubber/abrasive tape on the rollers, or texture the rollers.

Al

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Eagle_view's Tools
    You could also add some rosin to the surfaces of your rollers to give them more grip. There will be a small area of pressure that will allow the roller to work. Smaller rings would take several adjustments to get done.

Nicely done .

Lowell

Thanks
    Thanks bullchuck! I've added your Ring Roller to our Ring Rollers category, as well as to your builder page: bullchuck's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

bullchuck's Tools
    Thanks for the reply's. I have plenty of pressure on the metal, there is a 3 ton jack pushing down. I am going down to a machine shop tomorrow, to see what it would cost to have the rollers knurled. I had to take the day off today being so nice and take the quad out for a ride.
    Another thing I thought of, do you think the bottom rollers are to far apart?
    If you want to see more pic just ask. Thanks. Mark

Thanks
    Hi bullchuck,
    I work in a shop that uses that type of equipment all the time, what thickness of material are you trying to coil? and is it round or flat? We mostly work with machines that spring form rings with material diameter or 0.027" to .140" but the theory is the same no matter the size, generally the rollers that move the material are prior to the forming port and pull the material through a set of straighteners. Also, we groove the rollers to match the diameter of the material.
    Hope that helps,
    E

Thanks

bullchuck's Tools
    I am mainly trying to roll 1/4" & 3/8" round rod. What I am trying to do is roll a 20' length at once, and have all the rings the same size. I saw this on the web , and that is what I want to achive.

Ok so I had the rollers kurled today and the metal still slips. I am tThinking the bottom rollers need to be closer. ??????
    Last edited by bullchuck; Jan 27, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    The rollers should probably have groves put in them to allow more surface area to contact the material. You may need additional drive rollers to move that size material though

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoght View Post
    The rollers should probably have groves put in them to allow more surface area to contact the material. You may need additional drive rollers to move that size material though
    I'm not building a roller anytime soon, but that's a good insight.

Thanks
    I made a roller out of inner ball bearing races and they are hard material. They are powered together through chain drive. The adjustable roller is of hot rolled tubing softer material. I've rolled many rings out of 1/2" rebar and 5/8" hot rolled. My rollers are larger than yours so maybe that's the difference!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information