Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hemostat modification

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

Hemostat modification

Hemostats come in various sizes. I discovered today at the supplier I prefer for such medical implements (Ax Man Surplus) that larger hemostats have larger finger holes while little hemostats have little finger holes. WTF, over? Does that mean that only larger surgeons use larger hemostats and the smaller ones are used only by people with small hands and fingers? What if an old farmer with gnarly hands shaped by a lifetime of hard work (and maybe some arthritis) happens to need a small hemostat to do a small task with his big, competent hands? Hmmmm?

That, in fact, happens to be a situation I have. A good neighbor and friend at the lake, a farmer in his 80s, needs a small hemostat. He isn’t castrating chickens, hamsters or honey bees; he likes to go fishing so he needs it to tie knots in monofilament fishing line. He didn’t know that until I ‘splained to him how a small hemostat can be a big help when tying knots in nearly invisible fishing line with hands not designed for making fine stitches in lace doilies. He’s been a farmer all his life and has the hands of a man who is no stranger to hard work.

He told me recently that he doesn’t change lures as often as he probably should when fishing because it takes him about forever to tie a knot. I discovered that he uses the palomar knot, an excellent fishing knot that is among the easiest knots to tie, but no knot is easy for an older guy with older vision and big fingers. It’s like tying your shoes in the dark while wearing boxing gloves. Knot that I’d know personally, but that’s what I’ve read in the literature. I have half a dozen hemostats in my boat in case I should ever get old or anything like that, doncha know. Vicki also uses them for grabbing leeches from the bait bucket and disgorging hooks swallowed by panfish.

So I went to Ax Man Surplus today and picked up a 4” hemostat for my friend. It had tiny finger holes. I couldn’t even get my thumb and bird finger thru those little teeny holes. Imagine trying to use a lilliputian’s bowling ball the size of an orange, right?

I have a shop and some skills. As such, it is my higher calling and duty to rectify social injustices like hemostatic finger size discrimination when possible. So I did.

I made new finger holes of a size better suited to experienced manly digits. I made them out of 1/8” stainless steel welding rod. I silver-brazed the butt joints that made them rings, and then I silver-brazed the rings to the stumps on the hemostat from which I’d amputated the original, absurdly small, wimpy little finger holes. I’ll give the modified hemostat to my friend when we return to the lake.

Hemostat modification-hemostat.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 20, 2023), BuffaloJohn (Jul 17, 2023), Christophe Mineau (Jul 24, 2023), Frank S (Jul 16, 2023), greenie (Jul 17, 2023), Inner (Jul 17, 2023), Jon (Jul 20, 2023), mr mikey (Jul 24, 2023), Philip Davies (Jul 22, 2023), rebuilder1954 (Jul 24, 2023), rgsparber (Jul 17, 2023), rlm98253 (Jul 17, 2023), Scotty1 (Jul 18, 2023), Sleykin (Jul 22, 2023), tonyfoale (Jul 22, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Hemostat Modification to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Do your friend a favor and introduce him to needle drivers,e.g....

https://www.amazon.com/Needle-Cuttin...s%2C168&sr=8-1

This is the surgeons goto tool for general suturing. Basically, it's a pair of forceps with a scissor built into the jaws behind the gripping jaws. Combining the scissors with the forceps means you don't have to lay down one tool and pick up another when tying knots.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

desbromilow (Jul 17, 2023), drivermark (Jul 22, 2023), Inflight (Jul 25, 2023), Jon (Jul 20, 2023), Saltfever (Jul 17, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools
    Good tip, Marv. I didn't know about needle drivers so thanx for that. OTOH, the hemostats at Ax Man Surplus are MUCH cheaper than Amazon's $19.99 and it's just a coupla miles from my house in Fridley, MN. And besides, real men just bite off the tag ends once their palomar knots are drawn up tight ... :<)

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Thanks Marv, a really neat tool and a great idea. My father was a surgeon and I only wish he were still around to advise me about all these wonderful instruments. I'm now looking for a supplier in Australia as his professional tools have gone long ago.

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Try these guys Don, only $5.95 https://www.shopmedvet.com/category/...needle-holders
    Bony

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Don42 View Post
    Good tip, Marv. I didn't know about needle drivers so thanx for that. OTOH, the hemostats at Ax Man Surplus are MUCH cheaper than Amazon's $19.99 and it's just a coupla miles from my house in Fridley, MN. And besides, real men just bite off the tag ends once their palomar knots are drawn up tight ... :<)
    I guess you didn't notice the "e.g." in the OP. I like to use Amazon pictures as examples because they're clear and often offer good detailed close-up views. Since it's an example only, it's up to you to find a cheaper alternative if you don't want to buy the example.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    Thanks Marv, a really neat tool and a great idea. My father was a surgeon and I only wish he were still around to advise me about all these wonderful instruments. I'm now looking for a supplier in Australia as his professional tools have gone long ago.
    Here are some other surgical tools I've found really useful in the home shop...

Suture removal scissors...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

have a hook on one jaw that is used to raise the suture from the wound area and support it while the other jaw comes down and nips it off. Ship modelers swear by these when rigging tiny models.

Bandage removal scissors...

are similar. The lower jaw had a rounded dull tip that can slip under the bandage without accidentally sticking the patient; then the upper jaw comes down and severs the bandage.

Alligator forceps...

are fantastic for retreiving small parts dropped into inaccessible places. Also the goto tool if you build ships in a bottle.

Sponge forceps...

have serrated big tips (like overgrown pearl tweezers) and are great for working with soft materials, e.g. mopping the interior of a deep bore with a cloth.

12" forceps...

https://www.amazon.com/OdontoMed2011...l%2C151&sr=1-3

are great for extending your reach. I have back problems that prevent me from bending over to pick up something from the floor. As a result, I have a bunch of these scattered about to extend my reach. They're very useful; with them I can pick up a dime from a tile floor.

It's also worth learning to use surgical tools to tie knots...

https://www.animatedknots.com/surgic...ment-technique

This technique, executed with the aforementioned needle-driver is a common way to close a laceration with single stiches.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Inflight (Jul 25, 2023), Jon (Jul 20, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    On the subject of using medical tools in the shop for mostly non-medical work, trauma shears are another one that could be considered. They are designed with much more leverage than regular scissors and also have a serrated lower jaw. Inexpensive and very good at cutting tough things like clamshell packaging.
    Not only that, I've used them on vinyl siding, aluminum flashing, brass shim stock, feed bags, nylon webbing, food cans, goat hooves, small rope, fingernails, all kinds of things. Probably not the best thing for the original post, though.
    No affiliation with the link posted above, it was just a convenient search result.
    Last edited by ductape; Jul 19, 2023 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Thanks again Marv. Your post brought back many memories, I wasn't allowed near my fathers’ tools of trade, they were not considered to be toys, either sterile, sharp or I was too young. Pity because I missed out on what would have been a valuable contribution to my education for later interests. One I do remember well and have at home is a bone nibbler, see photo.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/61418/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
    It's used for reducing the size of protruding bone for amputation of things like fingers to allow sufficient flesh to suture the finger stump. Just thinking about it makes me more careful in the workshop. Being I think what is called boxed, I marvel at how it was made, how precisely the jaws close and the complete lack of any looseness in the hinge.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jul 22, 2023)

Thread Information