Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Heras Fencing Cage

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Wink Heras Fencing Cage

Hi All
    You are probably getting fed up with my security posts here on HMT. So I will try and make this the last one.

As we are all aware space is very valuable. Especially if it is a dry and secure. To help solve this problem and free up some space I decided to make, from bent and damaged heavy duty Heras fence panels a cage to store materials that are not weather effected but desirable if left out. Of course I could have purchased a commercially made security cage but the old panels, if not used, would have been destine for the scrap yard.

Construction of the cage is a nut and coach bolts through the tube and welded on tags. This made it easier to transported to site and erected. The door is hinged on purchased farm gate hinges and the lock is fabricated to accept a padlock. The base, is also a repaired heras panel.

The photos show the finished cage in place.

Heras Fencing Cage-img_7672.jpegBlocks, bricks, bags of sand and propane gas bottle stored in cage.

Heras Fencing Cage-img_7674.jpegHinged end

Heras Fencing Cage-img_7673.jpegFabricated lock with padlock fitted.

Heras Fencing Cage-img_7675.jpegM6 coach bolt holding cage together.

Thank you for taking the time to view

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

DSTP (Aug 17, 2023), ductape (Aug 8, 2023), Inner (Aug 9, 2023), mr mikey (Aug 8, 2023), Philip Davies (Aug 10, 2023), rlm98253 (Aug 8, 2023), Scotty1 (Aug 8, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Posts about securing property are never unwelcome to anyone who owns things.
    The use of construction panels to help prevent theft of personal property is a good idea. They are made of heavy gauge welded wire and should make most thieves move on to an easier target.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Aug 9, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Sadly with better designed hand wire cutters and cordless grinders these cages are at best a bit of hope rather than a real preventative device. This would have been great years ago.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Aug 13, 2023), thehomeengineer (Aug 9, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Heras Fencing Cage to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    Sadly with better designed hand wire cutters and cordless grinders these cages are at best a bit of hope rather than a real preventative device. This would have been great years ago.
    What is sad is most places frown on self-administering punishment to fit the crime.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Yes hairyarse fence panels are useful, my side fence is reinforced on the inside with them as the local scrotes just love kicking holes in fences, and we use the solid version (sheet steel box profile roof sheet clad) at work for securing supplies as it's much harder to get through.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Fortunately it is mainly concrete blocks and bricks and low value building materials, so hopefully as this is visible it will also deter theft as the are difficult and heavy to remove. But better to have a visual deterrent than no deterrent is my policy.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Fortunately it is mainly concrete blocks and bricks and low value building materials, so hopefully as this is visible it will also deter theft as the are difficult and heavy to remove. But better to have a visual deterrent than no deterrent is my policy.
    My dad once told me that locks are there to keep honest people honest. I remember telling him that if they were honest in the first place there was no need for locks. The only lock we had on our farm was a hook latch to keep the screen door closed when the wind blew. Not even our pair of 1000gal tower mounted fuel storage tanks had locks on the nozzles 1 diesel and 1 gasoline, but there was a coffee-can to drop a few coins or bills if someone needed gas in the middle of the night. Keys were never removed from the vehicles. Fortunately, Where I live now, I can still live the same way, I usually leave the 48 ft door open on my shop at all times unless it is storming

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information