Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hex Driver Extension

Thanks

gatz's Tools

Hex Driver Extension

Sometime back, I made a chute rotator for the JD snowblower using an old GM power window motor.
    Worked great. Thought I'd better cover up the home-made overload clutch from the elements.

But, as things happen, I needed to adjust the clutch because it popped a fuse when at a limit.
    There are 3) 10-32 SHCS holding the cover on and one of them is a bugger to get at. (foresight was a little short)

I had this remaining part of a Craftsman 1/4" extension that lay in the tool box for years; never throw anything like that away!
    And a ball-end 5/32 Allen wrench was the size needed for the 10-32 cap screws.

Cut off the bent end of the 5/32 hex wrench, and kinda smoothed it to a taper on the end that was cut.
    Drilling a hole in the end of the Craftsman extension was easier than I thought it would be. I made the hole about .010 less than the dimension across points of the hex. For good measure, I put some Loctite 609 in before joining the parts.
    A few good smacks with a hammer and it went together .

Not earth-shaking, but fit the bill for getting at the hard to reach cap screw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hex Driver Extension-5-32-ext_1.jpg   Hex Driver Extension-5-32-ext_2.jpg   Hex Driver Extension-5-32-ext_3.jpg   Hex Driver Extension-5-32-ext_4.jpg   Hex Driver Extension-5-32-ext_5.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gatz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 19, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks gatz! We've added your Extended Allen Bolt Key to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: gatz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Window motors are to slow bean there done that. I found a motor at a surplus company around the Chicago area that had motors much faster. Now i don't have to wait for the chute to turn. I get e-mails from the company at times. I will let you know if your interested

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Sure, send what info you have.
    The one I used is not all that fast, but a few seconds and it's aimed where I want it.
    Beats the heck out of hand cranking.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have several case big wheel garden tractors. I have a tractor for each attachment because i am to lacy to change attachments. I did not have a motor on the chute to rotate it so i started with window motors but fund they where to slow you need a motor with at least 120 RPM not more then 150 RPM you will be much happier when you use your snow blower. I bet you have to wait some times for the chute to point in the direction you want it to be. I will find the motor and give you the catalog number. I do have a spare but want to keep it.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    www.sciplus.com/s/?q= On the bottom of the page that will open is a car seat motor that i used. The motor shaft comes out a 90 degrees to the motor. I was wrong the motor runs at 190 RPM but that's the one i used there cheap and last you will like the motor. For a coupling from the motor shaft to the shaft of the chute drive i used a 3/8 ratchet extension swivel. Sorry i did not want to give you another project. Have fun

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Thanks for the link.
    Might have to get one or two of those.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information