Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holding a nut in place inside tubing - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Toolmaker,
    When you get it set up properly, bolt it down with easy disconnect system, I'd imagine female Dynabolts or such, to allow flush mounting. Locking castors won't stop movement or damp vibration. There are expensive castor/platform attachments, but they have the same problems.
    My 12" Wadkin clone (~300kg) does not require solid fixing, but all of the 'contractor' or compact saws need added mass to work well. And invest in a GOOD blade, or 3, Rip, all purpose, and fine cut- off. And make up a baffle system or box the base in (plywood) completely, airtight as possible (foam weatherstrip), and connect to, at least, a shop-vac. Irwin's range of blades are a good, readily available and quite suitable for a saw of that size. Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free to contact.
    Jim
    My inclination might be attach a 4' x 4' plywood deck, that'll add my incredible 157 pounds of bulk, with short shag carpet 'feet' underneath. Shape of the stand, isn't a slam dunk to enclose, but it will be none the less. Stop at local hardware didn't strike me with a great range of blades in correct size (or at diameters expected).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    That'll work, too. Many a small saw have been 'inserted' into a bigger table. Consider making a full height box base, so it looks like a cabinet saw (think UniSaw). The more you bulk it up, the more it'll work like its bigger cousins. Where are you located? Our 'big box' store, Bunnings, keeps a decent range for that type of saw. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes.
    Jim

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 3, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    'Bigger Cousins'......oh yah. It could be learning to run woodworking machines cemented my respect for stout metal-working machinery. I especially remember Oliver table saws. No sheet metal nuthin', maybe the knobs and handles were plastic.
    They woodwork equipment is modest; 2 tablesaws (1 the tiny Monkey Ward), 12" 1950's Craftsman bandsaw, DeWalt planer, the usual power hand tools. I'd add a shaper if an iron version comes along. I've been asked to replicate old patterns of molding heads (homes dating back to 1860's here), it would be worth testing them.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Apr 3, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Hats off to our collective 'old man'.

It's pointless trying to forget certain things individuals count as history. Nearly all those giant retail corporations vaporized, or so reduced to appear so. Cashways/ Payless, 84 Lumber, K-Mart, Thompson - Sutherland, J.C. Penney, Sears Roebuck, National Lumber (became Home Depot), Buena Park Lumber (is Ganahl) Eagle Home Improvement (now Lowe's)...lots of industrial suppliers too. Last three years, I've done a lot of driving, none of those are visible.
    All had appreciable service, loyal customers, good distribution, identifiable brands, owners, CEO's.
    Now, so few replacements equal those, aren't supporting US manufacture very well, and think online support equals that retired tradesman in hardware, electrical or plumbing.
    Nope!
    And, at least in my region of the country, there was Handy Dan and Builder's Square. I often ask the Lowes and Home Depot sales quads if they remember those guys when, for a simple example, I find a pipe/tube of a desired size and its matching plug/cap... but they don't carry the matching elbow or connector for that sized pipe "because we don't sell enough of them". That's when I empty my entire cart and go somehwere else (and often this is just back home to re-think an entire project!).

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Apr 3, 2022), that_other_guy (Aug 7, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Apr 3, 2022)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    And, at least in my region of the country, there was Handy Dan and Builder's Square. I often ask the Lowes and Home Depot sales quads if they remember those guys when, for a simple example, I find a pipe/tube of a desired size and its matching plug/cap... but they don't carry the matching elbow or connector for that sized pipe "because we don't sell enough of them". That's when I empty my entire cart and go somehwere else (and often this is just back home to re-think an entire project!).
    When I lived in Augusta GA there was a Builder's Square there. It was renamed but I forgot what it became. It's gone now.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    When I lived in Augusta GA there was a Builder's Square there. It was renamed but I forgot what it became. It's gone now.
    I remember the Handy Dan they were part of the Buddies Supermarket chain then when Winn Dixie took over Handy Dan disappeared in my area'

Home Depot, AKA Home desperate or home gone to pot, Lowes AKA Highs we only carry that online but you have to come here to pick it up.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My first 'real' job was warehouseman at Store #1620 in Red Bluff, CA...worked briefly at one in L.A, also. Much more laid back than being a humanbot at some faceless Amazoncwhse.

Thanks
    Monkey Ward Store #1620 , I mean.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Yup, Oliver saws were fine pieces of gear. I caught the cast iron bug in the early 90s and collected a few. I found a 20" thickness planet, 3 blade head, 8hp 440 3ph induction motor. 10mm cast iron surrounds, 1" steel plate base, 800 kg...forklift job. Pedal actuated multi-clutch power height mechanism. Huge lever to increase downward pressure on top feed roller. Even a 2 hp dust extractor was hard pressed to keep up...Quiet running until the knives bit. I had bark edge slab of something Eucalypt 18" wide, 32mm thick, 10 ft long, well suited for the top of a 5' Bar Leaner...you could've heard it in the next suburb! And a 26" cast iron bandsaw w/5hp 440 3ph induction motor, a 1" spindle moulded (shaper), an 8' belt sander.
    All set up in my Bowral workshop in 2003. When doing sea change in 2012, all was sold as the new 'home' workshop is only 50m2 compared to the old 100m2. And I don't really miss it at all. But, were I 50 again, I'd still do it! This week, I'm camped in hospital awaiting the ever dreaded colonoscopy, following a surprise rectal bleed...as if 2 leg angioplasties and 2 cardiac PCIs weren't enough to curb my workshop time in the last 5 months...moral: do what the Dr says...
    Thanks to all of you regular contributors here. Cheers.
    Jim

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Yup, Oliver saws were fine pieces of gear. I caught the cast iron bug in the early 90s and collected a few. I found a 20" thickness planet, 3 blade head, 8hp 440 3ph induction motor. 10mm cast iron surrounds, 1" steel plate base, 800 kg...forklift job. Pedal actuated multi-clutch power height mechanism. Huge lever to increase downward pressure on top feed roller. Even a 2 hp dust extractor was hard pressed to keep up...Quiet running until the knives bit. I had bark edge slab of something Eucalypt 18" wide, 32mm thick, 10 ft long, well suited for the top of a 5' Bar Leaner...you could've heard it in the next suburb! And a 26" cast iron bandsaw w/5hp 440 3ph induction motor, a 1" spindle moulded (shaper), an 8' belt sander.
    All set up in my Bowral workshop in 2003. When doing sea change in 2012, all was sold as the new 'home' workshop is only 50m2 compared to the old 100m2. And I don't really miss it at all. But, were I 50 again, I'd still do it! This week, I'm camped in hospital awaiting the ever dreaded colonoscopy, following a surprise rectal bleed...as if 2 leg angioplasties and 2 cardiac PCIs weren't enough to curb my workshop time in the last 5 months...moral: do what the Dr says...
    Thanks to all of you regular contributors here. Cheers.
    Jim
    Jim, here's hoping everything goes well at the hospital, Be careful
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information