Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Home made Belt grinder / sander Anti Static strap

Thanks

mr_modify1's Tools

Home made Belt grinder / sander Anti Static strap

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr_modify1 For This Useful Post:

FEM2008 (Dec 20, 2021), Jon (Dec 17, 2021), lassab999 (Dec 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 16, 2021), rgsparber (Dec 16, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Excellent work, sir. I caught one of my belt sanders on fire a few years ago and ended up making new aluminum crowned pulleys to replace the plastic ones it used to have. So now the belt is electrically grounded at every contact point. That made a big difference, but there's still a small amount of static buildup. A little anti-static strap would make it much nicer.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mr_modify1! We've added your Belt Grinder Anti-Static Strap to our Belt Sanders and Grinders category,
    as well as to your builder page: mr_modify1's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

neilg4dbn's Tools
    Nice solution with using the magnet as an emergency breakaway. For best electrical safety, the usual solution is to have a resistor in series with the drain wire so that you won't get a shock if there is a fault with the machine electrics. A value of around 1 megohm is sufficient to drain away static charge while protecting against fault currents. Most of the wristbands I've seen have a resistor or use a carbon strip or something to provide the resistance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilg4dbn For This Useful Post:

clavius (Dec 17, 2021), FEM2008 (Dec 20, 2021)

Thanks
    Great job! It looks like you found a nice solution.
    I use an antisatic strap prefessionaly and have been for over 35 years. The straps I have are metal expanding watchstrap type and elastic conductive fabric. The elastic ones are the predominant type used in industry.
    The one thing in common in all the straps I've ever used is that they all connect to the wire via a snap button. So, if you yank your hand away, the snap comes off. I know I have done it many times by starting to walk away from the workstation and forget to unclip. Also, the elastic type slips over the hand rather easily and can pull away readilly if the wire is pulled on, unless you have them adjusted too tight.

Anways, other than adding a resistor, your clip is probably the easiest to pull away and easy enough for anyoneto make.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information