Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew CNC Engraver

Supporting Member
    Thanks

kd8wdave's Tools

Homebrew CNC Engraver

For my 'second' post, I guess I can show my "homebrew" CNC machine. A little unsure how to show the pics
    here, but will give it a try. The machine frame is made of 1-in black-iron pipe. Saw this style from THIS website and decided to give it a try. My machine uses the 'Arduino-UNO' module. It uses the 'grbl' software ver 9. The step/direction commands from the Arduino are passed to three controller cards that I made using PIC processors. The PIC's pass the necessary driver step sequence to some "Dual-H-Bridge" drivers that in turn, drive the stepper(bipolar) motors.
    I found quite a few interesting issues that had to be dealt with, and found it quite enjoyable to work on. Shown is an very old 'dremel tool' that I had, and used for a bit for testing and checking out milling/engraving . I have received my new 3-speed spindle , but don't have it mounted yet. Other more important things to do first, but hope to have it done in the next month or two. My X axis(left& right) is about 450 mm. The Y axis (front&rear) is about 150 mm and the Z axis is about 75-80 mm.

Homebrew CNC Engraver-cnc-overview.jpg

Homebrew CNC Engraver-zaxis-newcard.jpg

I use a program called 'inkscape' to do the drawing of the work-piece. There is a plug-in on the software that converts this image to the required 'g-code' file for the machine. I have found that I do have to check the file for 'grbl' compatibility and I'm still learning how this should work for best results.

Here are a pic of my new spindle mounted on the machine. I just finished this up today after
    getting caught up from the last weeks 'ham radio' field day operation.
    Homebrew CNC Engraver-spindle-001.jpg

Hope this all shows up okay.
    cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homebrew CNC Engraver-spindle-003.jpg   Homebrew CNC Engraver-spindle-002.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by kd8wdave; Jul 7, 2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add new spindle pics

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kd8wdave For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Sep 15, 2015), DaveInPA (Jun 24, 2015), emu roo (Nov 28, 2022), high-side (Jul 4, 2020), Hotz (Jun 23, 2015), JiriLord (Jan 13, 2017), kbalch (Jun 22, 2015), Kevic (May 3, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Dec 17, 2017), Paul Jones (Jun 21, 2015), PJs (Jul 23, 2015), proff11 (Jun 23, 2015), that_other_guy (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    kd8wdave,

This is so cool and looking forward to seeing your next version with the 3-speed spindle. I am also interested in the various homemade tools using the 'Arduino-UNO' module and the 'grbl' software after seeing John Saunders' YouTube channel NYCCNC on his adaptations. It is on my "to do" list.

Thank you for the posting!
    Regards, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks kd8wdave! I've added your CNC Engraver to our CNC and Electronics categories, as well as to your builder page: kd8wdave's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

high-side (Jul 4, 2020)

Thanks
    Hey Dave:
    Amazing to see you on here; just so's you know, on here I am proff11, as Paul Jones was already taken. Glad to see you enjoying yourself. Don't be afraid to put up pictures of The Last Spindle; I may print them out and frame them.("See what Grandpa used to do before we all learned to speak Mandarin.")
    Last edited by proff11; Jun 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: punctuation

Supporting Member
    Thanks

kd8wdave's Tools
    Thanks Paul, I'll be getting to it after FD is over. I made three hold-down clamps today. Tomorrow is radio/network checkout with another ham. Have to make sure all our station gear will network together for the upcoming contest.

cheers

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Great job! A homemade tool partly inspired by homemadetools.net.

Thanks
    Hi kd8wdave,

Very impressive! Your CNC Engraver is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Homebrew CNC Engraver-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Homebrew CNC Engraver-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Homebrew CNC Engraver-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Homebrew CNC Engraver-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have (via PM) your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

kd8wdave (Sep 25, 2015)

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to kd8wdave for making such a valuable contribution!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Sep 15, 2015)

Thanks
    Toi cung dang muon lam mot may phay CNC dieu khien bang modul arduino uno nhung khong biet phai bat dau nhu the nao? xin cho mot loi khuyen , cam on

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Sometimes I use Inkscape to make DXF files to be converted into G-Code. I have the gcodetools plugin for my copy of Inkscape, but I can't say I'm a big fan of it. So I use other applications for post processing, depending on the kind of job it is. I like that spindle. I have one of those Chinese "500 Watt" air cooled spindles and I am not entirely sold on it. It works, but the top RPM is awfully slow. As best as I can tell it is no where near 500 Watts either. More like 100 Watts according to measurements I've taken. Congratulations on winning tool of the Week. I don't think my CNC machine even got honorable mention on this site. Maybe the next one that I build will?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 13, 2018)

Thread Information