Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade clamp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    I’m afraid that you miss the point of this site. The satisfaction of making your own tools is more important than the money.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thanks

toma's Tools
    I understand this site in some other sense...to make tools but in some better way, new designs,new functionality, new technical solutions etc...not only to copy existing ones. If I can not see nothing new in this tool...?!!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by toma View Post
    I understand this site in some other sense...to make tools but in some better way, new designs,new functionality, new technical solutions etc...not only to copy existing ones. If I can not see nothing new in this tool...?!!
    I can only speak for myself. Sometimes I make a tool because it sounds like a fun challenge. My tool might even be inferior to one I could buy for little money. Other times I make a tool because I want the experience. And then there are times when I can make a tool better and/or for less money than buying it. Plenty of times I make a tool, find that it doesn't work, toss it back in the scrap pile, and still feel good about it. The lessons learned from my failures help me make better tools.

I don't learn anything from buying something. I just get the product and hopefully it does the job. But making things brings so much more. Of course, if my focus is the job at hand, I don't hesitate to buy tools that will let me finish that job.

"The journey is the destination." And everyone at any time is on a unique journey.
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    I am just guessing here but I think Vyacheslav.Nevolya has 5 times as much pride in owning that clamp than a store bought one!

Just sayin,

Cheers, JR

Thanks

toma's Tools
    I still think it is irrational, I would like to see a clamp with some improvements in functionality and design...
    Anyway,every new tool in the workshop is welcome..

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by toma View Post
    I still think it is irrational, I would like to see a clamp with some improvements in functionality and design...
    Anyway,every new tool in the workshop is welcome..
    Irrational. I completely agree. Hobbies are often irrational. Do you know what we call a hobby that makes money? A job...
    Rick

Thanks

toma's Tools
    Mr. Nevolya is all but not a hobbyist, with such valuable machinery...he is a man that mastered many (if not all) machinist skills.
    I have not anything new to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    There's another aspect to this discussion...

Not everyone lives in a location where common tools are easily available commercially. Even if commercial versions are obtainable, expense and shipping time considerations may justify making one's own.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 7, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    A related question is: Why is toolmaking so satisfying and respected?

We have decent evidence for this. Casually, we can observe how our peers respond when they see that someone has built a tool for their hobby, rather than an object central to the hobby itself. More formally, we can look at analysis of hundreds of different DIY forums - simply sort their tech threads by "most viewed", and you'll see a homemade tool trend surface across numerous DIY disciplines. I've done this.

We also see people who are deeply experienced in their hobbies gravitate toward toolbuilding. Often, this is first done strictly for utility (needed a specialty tool, wanted to save money, etc.). Then, as they make tools less for utility, and more for enjoyment, we see people present their tool builds with an almost obligatory excuse - "I'll use this for...", "I had some extra...".

Finally, we see hobbyists progress to unabashed toolmaking. The satisfaction and enjoyment they've extracted from making tools is the pinnacle of their hobby, and they don't care what anyone else thinks.

Thanks

toma's Tools
    Of course,it is legitimate in this case..

Thread Information