Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mklotz's Tools

Homemade fishing tool

If you fish you know that tying leaders to hooks or flys can seem to require three hands at times. I'm no different so I made this tool. After all fishing is all about the next fishing gadget; actually catching fish is a peripheral benefit. :-)

The top of the device is a small version of a machinist's clamp but made in brass so it won't rust in wet and salty environments. It's attached to a cylindrical aluminum (again, no rust) 'handle' which has a number of cutouts to hold leaders of various strengths. Each cutout has a small screw and washer to trap the free end of the leader so it won't unravel in the tackle box.

The interior of the 'handle' is bored out to form a small compartment for needles and other knot-tying aids. A threaded brass plug secures this compartment.

I'm normally sitting in a boat when I use this so I mount the hook/fly in the vise and clamp the 'handle' between my knees thus freeing both hands to attend to the knot tying. The brass plug could easily be adapted to a rod that fits into an oarlock or a magnet that holds the device to a steel tackle box or boat section.
    Last edited by mklotz; 07-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (09-12-2015), kbalch (09-14-2015), PJs (09-14-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Fishing Leader Tool to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information