Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw Modifications

Supporting Member projectswithrich's Avatar
    Thanks

projectswithrich's Tools

Horizontal Bandsaw Modifications

Over the years I have made several improvements to my horizontal bandsaw to make it more efficient to use. This saw is a Jet 5x6 but the ideas can be used on just about any horizontal bandsaw. Here are some of the key improvements:
    1. Better stand with swivel casters
    2. Longer and more usable work stop
    3. Custom vice handle for quick adjustments, especially when changing angles
    4. Tool-less vise adjustment
    5. Vise modification for cutting short pieces
    6. Angle degree marks on the top side for quick adjusting
    7. Two cutting surfaces for using the saw in the vertical position. The small plate stays on the saw all the time. I use it vertically several times a week with this small cutting surface.
    8. Upgraded Lennox blade. You get what you pay for in blades.
    This is one of the most used machines in the shop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    My Youtube Channel:
    Projects with Rich - YouTube

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to projectswithrich For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Dec 23, 2022), fizzloid (Oct 4, 2021), highpointpat (Sep 28, 2021), Jon (Sep 29, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 1, 2021), rgsparber (Sep 28, 2021), rlm98253 (Nov 19, 2023), Sleykin (Sep 28, 2021), TheElderBrother (Oct 3, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by projectswithrich View Post
    Over the years I have made several improvements to my horizontal bandsaw to make it more efficient to use. This saw is a Jet 5x6 but the ideas can be used on just about any horizontal bandsaw. Here are some of the key improvements:
    1. Better stand with swivel casters
    2. Longer and more usable work stop
    3. Custom vice handle for quick adjustments, especially when changing angles
    4. Tool-less vise adjustment
    5. Vise modification for cutting short pieces
    6. Angle degree marks on the top side for quick adjusting
    7. Two cutting surfaces for using the saw in the vertical position. The small plate stays on the saw all the time. I use it vertically several times a week with this small cutting surface.
    8. Upgraded Lennox blade. You get what you pay for in blades.
    This is one of the most used machines in the shop.

I really like your approach to #1 , a better stand and casters. My Grizzly variant busted the plastic wheels in no time so real casters and frankly a bit higher stand would be very nice. I was thinking complicated but I'm beginning to see the value in your approach.

As for item #8 a decent blade does do wonders on these saws, I went with Starret but Lennox is fine also. I strongly recommend to anybody buying one of these saws to throw out the included blade immediately. A proper blade cuts so much better it is amazing.

As for getting used a lot, yes one of the best bang for the buck in my shop. Seriously useful.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member projectswithrich's Avatar
    Thanks

projectswithrich's Tools
    Wizard69, The simple 2x4 frame really stiffens up the legs as well. I've been told to only put swivels on one end, but literally everything in my shop has some sort of stand under it with 4 swivel casters and I wouldn't have it any other way. With a small shop, tools can be moved in any direction very easily to make room for whatever project is going on. Even in the vertical position, I've probably only needed to lock the wheels a couple time, ever.

The cheap blades are probably the reason why these saws get a bad rap. No matter how rigid the saw, if the blade is dull or not made well, it will wander and give poor cut performance. I'm sure the Starret ones are great as well. Both are top tier brands. I probably had a recommendation for these specific ones and never tried anything any other blades. I've used them extensively on stainless round bar as well.

I went from a chop saw which was too loud and messy, to a cold saw which could be used indoors but still had sparks and was loud, to this, which is quiet and has no sparks. More than half the time it is used in the vertical position with the small table that stays on it. It often takes the place of a dremel or cutoff wheel.

I really appreciate your feedback
    My Youtube Channel:
    Projects with Rich - YouTube

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I love the built in jacking screw on the vise. I put one on my little bandsaw and it was just about the best thing I ever did. Previously I was using machinists jacks. I may steal some of your other very excellent modifications to improve my band saw. Well done, sir.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    One of the goals for stand improvement on my saw would be to raise it up some. For me, a relatively tall guy, it is too low to the ground. All of this sounds like a good winter project. I have so many of them though.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks projectswithrich! We've added your Horizontal Bandsaw Modifications to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: projectswithrich's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information