Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Horror Fright style blaster fixes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Horror Fright style blaster fixes.

I recently made a reply to an old post about blaster dust collection MY DIY Dust Separator

I have been asked to explain the function of the tall tower on top of the blast cabinet so I have prepared a PDF with details of all my modifications to the blaster. I know from experience that this forum only allows so many photos per post, hence the PDF, this post has lots of photos. BlasterMods.pdf

Here are a few photos to get your interest. Click for full size images.

Horror Fright style blaster fixes.-blaster-30.jpg Horror Fright style blaster fixes.-blaster-29.jpg

Horror Fright style blaster fixes.-blaster-08.jpg Horror Fright style blaster fixes.-blaster-15.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Aug 29, 2022), freddo4 (Aug 29, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 8, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I really like the tower/ drop side concept. Made sense as using same principle as a DIYer water trap built of several lengths of vertical tubing and elbow fittings.
    The issue of particles cling to hopper; most are powder coated, winding up kind of smooth but not very slick. Acts like static electricity, can't believe those materials retain a charge though.
    Wondering about those vibrating chambers, steel balls banging around propelled by compressed air, in a short sealed cylinder, attached to side of hopper?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Aug 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    The issue of particles cling to hopper; most are powder coated, winding up kind of smooth but not very slick. Acts like static electricity, can't believe those materials retain a charge though.
    Wondering about those vibrating chambers, steel balls banging around propelled by compressed air, in a short sealed cylinder, attached to side of hopper?
    i do not think that there is any need for complicating things. Decades back I had a blaster with a deep hopper and hence steep sides. There was never any problem with that. With my present machine which has a combination of the stock shallow surfaces and my steep additions. It is only the original shallow sections that hold the media. The steep sides always stay clean. Anyway although not perfect I can easily live with what I have now, an occasional knock with a knee will dislodge any buildup. Other than having a sump with steep sides all around the simplest solution to avoid buildup might be to have some small compressed air bleeds aimed at the accumulation areas, a moving film of air.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 28, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Sandblaster Modifications to our Media Blasting category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

chip generator (Sep 3, 2022)

Thread Information