Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How carburetors work - video

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

kboy0076 (Sep 2, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Sep 3, 2021), Slim-123 (Sep 3, 2021), wolfpaak (Sep 3, 2021)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Before carburetors there were these...
    How carburetors work - video-fancy-perfume-bottle-graphicsfairy.jpeg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 2, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    A genuine auto repair manual exists, the carburetor section's title (tongue in cheek), explained Carburetors; French Word for Do Not Touch.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Fortunately for me I have very few neighbors or anyone living with in a 10 mile radius for that matter. But it seems that some have found out that I don't seem to have a problem getting lawn mowers and other small engines to run. and have started bringing their. I don't know what happened it ran last year the last time I used it things to me. One neighbor who professes to be a handy man, OK, Great someone for the neighbors to call on when they need a fence mended or replace a busted up door on a chicken coop type of guy. Anyway he brought me the float out of the carb on his 20 year old riding lawn mower, not even classed as a lawn tractor.
    I need a new float and the guy at the lawnmower shop in the city says he can't get one. the carb just floods the engine all the time.
    OK, I need the model # of the engine the make of the lawn mower and a picture or 2 of the carb which he has with him or it was the numbers the mower shop guy gave him.
    I look them up and the picture of the replacement float had zero resemblance so I search by image till I find whet I'm looking for a new float with needle and gasket was #20.00 genuine Briggs and scrap iron NOS "new old stock" $5.00 shipping but at the same time a brand new after market carb is only $17.00 free shipping.
    Which do you want? just parts for $25.00 which may or may not fix your problem or a new carb for $17.00 which still may or may not fix your problem, but I'm betting it will at least until you leave it set over the winter with the crap we have for gasoline in it.
    Me I would have hucked the old carb in the scrap pile and saved myself $8.00. Nope Order me the float and needle he says.
    Which I did and at the same time ordered the new carb because it would have fit another engine that I happen to have.
    the parts came in he took them and fiddled with the carb to several days then brought it to me I cleaned it and burnished the seat and sent him on his way.
    made him a happy camper for a couple of years. This past spring he hauls the rider to my shop says it won't keep running.
    I took the gas cap off and the gas smelled horrible I reached on the shelf and handed him the new carb I had bought when I bought the float for him. Here give me a 20 and take this $1.00 filter flush out your tank with acetone or denatured alcohol replace the fuel line then only run the premium gas in it. At the end of the season or when you think you are not going to use your mower again until next spring run it out of gas, buy a qt. of the 40 to 1 chain saw fuel pour that in and run the mower a few minutes then next spring just fill it up with premium again and you should be good to go.
    I can repair most carbs but when I can buy them even cheap replacements for less than 1/4 of what it would cost me in time to clean an old one why bother.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    As much as I enjoyed the carburetor explanation the interaction between you and your dad Priceless.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information