Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to Drill Perfectly Centered Holes in Round Stock!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer steve View Post
    You guys are absolutely right but I don't think that 'perfect' has a fully defined definition. When you say something fits perfectly it generally means that it is perfect for your standards, I guess that's why tolerances have been invented to give a solid definition when it comes to size. I appreciate your thoughts
    The only "perfect" I know on Earth is in math. 1 +1 perfectly equals two. "Perfect", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. The same goes for the term "accurate."

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Even in math, though, perfection can be defined, but not achieved.

A (perfect) circle is defined as the locus of points equidistant from a central point. Yet no one has ever constructed a perfect circle.

Irrational numbers are another case. There are numerous infinite series for pi but, even after millions of digits, we don't have an exact value (and never will).

One must be careful. Mathematicians are very careless in their choice of names for mathematical entities. As an example, the solution to the equation:

x² + 1 = 0

was termed an "imaginary" number. There's nothing imaginary about it and it's used widely in many real world applications of math.

They also decided to call numbers equal to their aliquot sums "perfect", e.g. 6 = 1 + 2 + 3. While it's an interesting and fairly rare property, there's nothing "perfect" about it, other than its poorly chosen name.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer steve View Post
    Drilling perfectly centerd holes in round stock, using my homemade milling machine.
    I bought a wiggler. It's basically the same thing, with the added benefit of the dial remaining in the same orientation so you can see it. Works good.

Thanks

th62's Tools
    So many people going on and on and on about perfect. Give it a rest, bloody ridiculous!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    So many people going on and on and on about perfect. Give it a rest, bloody ridiculous!
    Have you considered unsubscribing from this thread?

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

th62's Tools
    I'm interested in the topic, not the definition of perfect. So no, but, since you're clearly more interested in the definition of perfect, why not start your own thread on perfect, rather than try to derail this one?

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    The internet in a nutshell; 50% cat videos and 50% pedants desperately waiting for an opportunity to correct someone. Correcting colloquialisms and hyperbole as if they were literal statements not a constructive hobby.

Some people are just incapable of giving somebody a pat on the back and saying "well done." Gotta tear them down and make them regret participating in the first place.

Thanks
    B- for initiative. Need to study "TIR." Your mounting "stub" is not centered. Therefore your centering efforts will all have the error of your mount. I posit that you saw a version of this in a catalog or a YouTube, and said "saw it on the Tube, I can do that."

Do it again but this time use a piece of stock four times bigger diameter. Get a combination square and layout the crossing lines to find center at the intersection. Prick the intersection, punch the intersection, drill the intersection. Now you've laid out and performed a center drill that, if you practice, should be accurate to around 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch. No need for new gizmo, you've mastered the skill. Cheers.
    Last edited by gargoyle; Sep 5, 2021 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Me I'm lazy I usually just chuck things up in the lathe and spin them running a center drill into them. If I am extremely worried about being absolutely concentric with the OD then I'll toss on the 4 jaw and use a magnetic base dial indicator to center it up, when the needle doesn't move more than half a mark in either direction it is close enough
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

engineer steve's Tools
    That works perfectly (oops I said it again) but not everyone has a lathe, also if you have a bigger part with a round feature that needs 'perfect' center drilling, this method comes in handy. If you need to center a lot of parts it is indeed nice to have a wiggler.

Thread Information