Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Howdy from Central Texas

Thanks

Howdy from Central Texas

Hello,

While I have been a member of this forum, I have never actually introduced myself.
    My handle, er, do they even use that term anymore? Anyways, my handle is Droopie Dawg, originally created by famed animation artist Tex Avery, but with a twist on the spelling. Mr. Avery's lovable pooch was actually named Droopy Dog who came to life on the Silver Screen around 1943. I tend to come off as aloof and quiet which tends to go hand in hand with my animated counterpart.

I love this forum/site as it covers just about anything I have ever wanted to fix, build, repair, or create.
    For the last 25 years I have been working in the IT field in an Higher Education environment.
    I love just about anything that has to do with squeezing horsepower out of a Small Block Chevrolet V8. I taught myself how to Pocket Port or Port Match the exhaust ports on my last build and also did some cleaning up the intake ports as well.

That work served me extremely well as I just finished rebuilding the upper end on my 2000 FLSTC Harley Davidson Softail Heritage Classic. I did what has come to be called a stage one or stage two port and polish on both heads. I enhanced the flow characteristics from the intake side, roughed up the intake ports to allow for better atomization of the fuel while I also opened up the exhaust ports to aid the in expelling the spent gasses. All with a Dremel Tool armed with Carbide Cutters, Machinists Die, Cutting Oil, and LOTS of elbow grease. I don't have any photos of them but I am pretty darn proud of how they came out. I should have her back on the road by the end of next week which is perfect because the weather here is just right for going on long rides.

One of my first jobs was working for Old Man Miller in Houston, Texas where he let me have free rein of his industrial sized shop. He believed in creating old time wooden toys ranging from Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer to turning out quarter sized wooden wheels for small train sets. It was, by far, one of the most rewarding jobs I ever had. While Mr. Miller and I shared the same beliefs in building toys for children, the times of that period did not. We did well at Christmas time but after that, he couldn't afford to keep me on and eventually sold the shop.

My latest endeavor will be preparing for my retirement in 2020/2021 where I plan to make hand forged Damascus Steel Knives. Two of my most favorite mediums to work with are wood and metal, as well as Chevy's and Harley's!

So, there ya' have it. You know now pretty much about me.

Thank you so much for giving like-minded people such as myself a place to learn, share and hopefully, someday for me that is, there will be posts of what I have created.

Oh yes, there is an additional dog in our family. This one, Misha, is real. She's the best pooch and friend a man could ever have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Howdy from Central Texas-may-4-2015-677.jpg   Howdy from Central Texas-julyfirst-834.jpg   Howdy from Central Texas-may-4-2015-416.jpg   Howdy from Central Texas-may-4-2015-656.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi droopie,

Welcome - glad that you decided to say hello!

Lots of car and bike guys around here (including me!), so you'll fit in perfectly. I just put a modern SBC (LS7) in my Ultima GTR (see my avatar). What an engine!

Your Softail project sounds neat - too bad you don't have photos of the engine work. Still, let's see the bike…

What's next on your build list?

Misha looks like a real sweetie!

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,133 Times in 11,430 Posts
    Hi droopie - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Wood, metal, Chevys, Harleys; sounds like you'll fit in nicely here!

What are you working on these days? Do you see any builds here that you like?

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 1,658 Posts
    Welcome to the forums, droopie! That's an interesting mix of hobbies you've got there.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information