Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Pump + AC Compressor = Useful Unit

Thanks

darus627's Tools

Talking Hydraulic Pump + AC Compressor = Useful Unit

In this video we show you the connection of a hydraulic pump with an air conditioning compressor.
    It is a useful device and has many advantages.
    - The hydraulic system works only when we turn it on, thanks to which the oil, pump, seals wear much slower.
    - The engine is not loaded all the time, so the fuel consumption is lower.
    - In addition, the battery and starter have a much easier start of the engine when the hydraulics are not permanently connected.

This is part of a big project we are working on right now and we decided to show this element separately to show how it is made and how it works.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to darus627 For This Useful Post:

baja (May 11, 2023), EnginePaul (May 11, 2023), hemmjo (May 11, 2023), Inner (May 12, 2023), Jon (May 10, 2023), mr mikey (May 11, 2023), mwmkravchenko (May 14, 2023), nova_robotics (May 10, 2023), PaulsGarageProjects (May 11, 2023), rlm98253 (May 12, 2023), schuylergrace (May 12, 2023), Sleykin (May 12, 2023), Tule (May 16, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    This is excellent. I've fantasized about making exactly this for my car for years. Instead I just made a new pulley with a bearing in the center so it free-wheels, effectively disconnecting the power steering pump. But that is not nearly as useful as your design. How much torque can those A/C magnetic clutches support before they start to slip?

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks darus627! We've added your Compressor-Driven Hydraulic Pump to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: darus627's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Very clever adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    ...Snip... How much torque can those A/C magnetic clutches support before they start to slip?
    I have heard an A/C compressor takes 5-15 HP to run depending on the size of the vehicle. Also should keep in mind, typically an A/C system is not under pressure when the clutch is activated since the refrigerant pressures quickly equalize very quickly after the compressor stops running. There is a circuit in most modern applications that deactivates the clutch if it detects slipping. For example if the belt is loose, or wet, or if the compressor is locked up and cannot turn.

A hydraulic system would be similar as long as the valves were all in the center/bypass position.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts
    Congratulations darus627 - your Compressor-Driven Hydraulic Pump is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Clever build with many possible applications, at least one of which I expect we'll be seeing in a future project of yours.

Some more nice builds from this week:

Lathe Carriage Stop by Occasional machinist
    Stair Spindle by gatz
    Shop Crane by tmate3
    Bridge Clamps by Make Things

darus627 - you'll be receiving a $100 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are both of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have heard an A/C compressor takes 5-15 HP to run depending on the size of the vehicle. Also should keep in mind, typically an A/C system is not under pressure when the clutch is activated since the refrigerant pressures quickly equalize very quickly after the compressor stops running. There is a circuit in most modern applications that deactivates the clutch if it detects slipping. For example if the belt is loose, or wet, or if the compressor is locked up and cannot turn.
    Keep in mind he's only using the clutch, not the compressor. On my first go through, I thought he was reconfiguring the compressor pump to pump hydraulic oil, but I never saw the piston assembly go back together. Instead, he's adding a hydraulic pump on the back of the essentially empty compressor shell. Things weren't adding up, and I realized what was going on at the very end. I don't know if you thought the same. I'm guessing his hydraulic pump is a rotary, which would likely be more mechanically efficient than the piston pump in the compressor.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Keep in mind he's only using the clutch, not the compressor. .... snip
    I was making the point, that depending on the model, the clutch is designed to handle 5-15 HP, and to be engaged at speed. Your A/C compressor starts and stops when you are driving on the freeway. Although, there is little load when it first starts, since the pressures have equalized in the system since the last cycle. The load begins to build soon after the clutch as locked up.

John

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

schuylergrace (May 13, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    If you're looking for an off-the-shelf way to do this, Deweze makes and sells underhood hydraulic kits for tow trucks. These clutches aren't "cheap", but the pricing isn't terrible. e.g. My old red truck would take a 742009 clutch which is around $300.

The last tow truck I rode in had a toggle switch that held the engine up at around 2,000 RPMs when the hydraulics were engaged. Does anyone know how they do that?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (May 15, 2023)

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    You can get an electric solenoid throttle control. search for "electronic throttle control for truck engine". under $150.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    You can get an electric solenoid throttle control. search for "electronic throttle control for truck engine". under $150.
    Thanks! I looked it up and it looks like they can be mechanical or use the CAN bus like I guessed. Cool stuff!

Thread Information