Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ice Cream Scoop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I suspect a scoop would be a loss around my house. My wife likes Ice cream but a pint of butter pecan will last her a month
    For myself I can't stand the stuff. I class all flavors in the category of never to be eaten things, like anything raw, or anything that can not be cooked with Habenaro peppers. I will devour a half gallon of lime sherbert once in a while but only if it is made with real limes And no I don't share
    Well, that gets near ceviche then! Lime sherbert ceviche.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Wonder, anyone ever tried or made a hollow handle, with some kind of jacket inside the bowl? Fill it with antifreeze? Alcohol? Commercial establishments had them with liquid sodium, but deemed a little dangerous. Seems like they remain on the market.
    There is a cast aluminum scoop sold under many store brands (ours came from a place called KitchenArt) that has liquid in the handle. I have no idea what the liquid is, but it has the consistency of water. It was useless anyhow. It took too long to preheat the scoop and liquid. Besides, if you run it under hot water first, it cuts through even hard ice cream easily. If the scoop has little mass, dunking it in hot water when needed is enough.
    My scoop has enough mass that it stays warm enough to dole out plenty.

Neil

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    I got to wondering why in the USA ice cream shops they use scoops similar to this one and elsewhere in the world they tend to use bowl shaped scoops. Did a web search and I am still no wiser but discovered that this scoop that you have made is more correctly called a 'spade'. See https://www.zeroll.com/pages/en/index.php. I have seen large ice cream outlets in the US where a dozen or so staff are frantically trying to dig hard ice cream, and build round topped ice cream cones with these spades, and I have always put this down to not knowing any better. I was wrong as the Zeroll link shows - you have all sorts of scoops and spades available, (why am I not surprised), but I have no idea how you decide which one is better to use. Excellent ice cream in the US and well presented even when done with a spade.
    Excellent scoop (spade) that you have made here too - well done for even thinking of trying to make your own.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Well, that gets near ceviche then! Lime sherbert ceviche.
    sherbert /sorbet./ sharbat / Arabic sharbah was pretty much invented as a desert desert. ( I allways wanted to use that vernacular ) Only about actual ingredients are required limes milk and sugar half &half usually instead of milk
    once while in Istanbul supervising the assembly of a set of post tension bridge beam forms that i designed and built in our factory in Kuwait. My Turkish counterpart in charge of the design engineering of the 40 meter long beams shared his ancient family recipe for sherbet which consisted of scraping the limes to make the zest then squeezing them for the juice fresh goat's milk straight from the udder into the mixing pail, fresh cow's milk done the same way and raw unrefined or raw sugar and a tiny pinch of saffron to add red intermingling specks to the green lime zest frozen in a modern hand cranked ice cream freezer with a Cyprus ice tank OK, the freezer was reported to be over years old but it was his pride and joy. It brought back fond memories for me as well. of my childhood days when I would sit atop the freezer while my Gramps turned the crank
    there is no single descriptive word for the rich fullness the taste had
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 8, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 8, 2016)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Let's call a spade a spade. I edited the title.

I grew up in the midwest US, and we always had ball-shaped scoops (usually a half-sphere). The first time I saw the flat spoon-shaped kind, I thought it was a serving spoon.
    I don't care what shape my ice cream globules take. As mom said, "your stomach won't know the difference". Moreover, my stomach wouldn't care even if it did know the difference. I'm not terribly picky about ice cream (or sherbet).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Aug 8, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Aug 8, 2016)

Thread Information