Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing a rain gutter - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

Installing a rain gutter - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 18, 2021)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    what are the "bars" mounted parallel to the roof edge, about 18" in from the edge? seen at around 0:15 timestamp

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I don't live in a particularly high rainfall area but I do know that if my gutters were set that low, a lot of the time
    the rain water would just shoot straight over the gutter!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The house appears to be new construction as evident by the resets still on the foundation, the empty paint buckets and all of the wood looks new not weathered and repainted. The horizontal bars are probably for a solar install
    But those gutters where they are mounted are less than useless for anything more than a light drizzle. They should have been mounted on at least a 2inch and possibly a 3 inch stand off and a couple inches higher. Sub-contractors don't care if the gutters do anything they get paid by the job.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The house appears to be new construction as evident by the resets still on the foundation, the empty paint buckets and all of the wood looks new not weathered and repainted. The horizontal bars are probably for a solar install
    But those gutters where they are mounted are less than useless for anything more than a light drizzle. They should have been mounted on at least a 2inch and possibly a 3 inch stand off and a couple inches higher. Sub-contractors don't care if the gutters do anything they get paid by the job.
    If you look at approx..07 sec. mark you will see that the gutter at the high end is about in line with the lowest groove of the roofing. Any higher than that and when the snow & ice slides off of the roof it will take the gutter with it!
    I also believe that those "bars" that "desbromilo" mentions are to break up the big sheets of snow & ice that come sliding off the roof to protect anyone in the vicinity. In my area of the country they are in the building code.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwilly For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 26, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwilly View Post
    If you look at approx..07 sec. mark you will see that the gutter at the high end is about in line with the lowest groove of the roofing. Any higher than that and when the snow & ice slides off of the roof it will take the gutter with it!
    I also believe that those "bars" that "desbromilo" mentions are to break up the big sheets of snow & ice that come sliding off the roof to protect anyone in the vicinity. In my area of the country they are in the building code.
    If those bars are meant to break up the snow load when the pack starts sliding off then in many parts of the country all they would do would be form a dam and prevent it from sliding off even up to an 8/12 pitch.
    Not too many years ago A friend of mine at the time lived in Gilford CT. his house had a modest 8/12 pitch 1 side had a single roof the other side had 4 roofs with 2 valleys the side with the single roof had a huge Oak tree about 5 feet from the house they had a freak snow storm one year he said he kept saying that he was not going out a scrape snow off the roof but when he started hearing the rafters crack he decided it was time to do something the snow extended all the way out from the roof to the oak tree and it was so deep on the other side you couldn't even tell there was more than a single roof under the snow.
    He tied a short 2x4 to a rope and kept tossing it up on the roof until it avalanched off over a 1000 roofs were lost that winter in that area. When spring came he had if house stripped to the top plate and replaced with a simple 2 roof on a 10/12 pitch facing away from the oak tree,He wanted a 12/12 but due to the height of his house the city wouldn't issue a permit to make it that tall

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Since I live in snow country, I'll comment... the bars on the roof are meant to stop the snow from sliding off. On my big shop, metal roof, 50x96, with 16' side walls, when we get heavy snow fall, the snow on the roof can build up to be a foot or more deep. When it starts to warm in the sun in spring, the steel heats up, and that snow will slowly creep down and slide off... it will also form a layer of ice between the roof and the snow, so it gets very heavy. Falling from 16', it makes a very loud noise when it hits the ground. You do not want to be in that area when it's warming and sliding off in chunks. So those snow stops are very important to have over man-door areas so you don't get hit with snow.
    Additionally, you want the gutters to be low enough that if that snow does slide off that it won't take off the gutter.
    From what I can see from my experiences with gutters, these guys know what they are doing.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The whole idea of having gutters on a structure in this part of the country is to catch every drop of water and route it to a catchment basin like a cistern or series of large black poly tanks Snow is for polar bears although we had a freak 15" snow fall last winter. I hate that ugly white crap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 26, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Changes in latitude, with bits of levi-tude.
    Discounting new construction, gutters are swell and part of weather-proofing, the practices vary regionally. But we all agree, that's for naught, the windows aren't in yet.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Thanks folks - the explanations etc regarding snow is great since it never snows where I live.

Thread Information