Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: introducing myself

Thanks

introducing myself

-apprentice aircraft mechanic
    -heavy equipment operator
    -enjoy welding

Some really nice craftsmanship in some of these projects. Glad i found you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi old.rusty.tools,

Welcome!

We've got some pilots and instructors around here (guilty!), so another aircraft guy is always welcome. I'm curious about your apprentice mechanic position - are you working with an A&P to gain practical experience prior to the tests vs. attending trade school? I know it's allowed, but I've never met anyone who's actually done it that way. I'd love to hear more about how it's going.

What sort of heavy equipment are you running? Have you made any tools along the way to fix problems with the big iron?

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,040 Times in 11,408 Posts
    Hi old.rusty.tools - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

The heavy equipment builds are some of my favorites.

What's next up on your projects list?

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Welcome to the community, old.rusty.tools! Glad you joined us.

Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome kbalch and Jon.

Aviation wise, I must first tell you that I am in Canada. So we have Aircraft Maintenance Engineers with different licenses, such as small aircraft, large aircraft, and electronics. It is my understanding that a licensed AME can perform and sign for a broader amount of tasks than an A and P mechanic in the U.S.

I did a 2 year AME course at SAIT(southern Alberta Institute of Technology) and worked a little in industry but really I have about 28 more months of work before I can apply for my license, and that was 8 years ago.

I drove loaders, dozers, excavators...but my true "specialty"if you will, is on scrapers.

Jobs I have worked at include the oil rigs, seismic drilling, a little forestry, construction, surveying, comercial building maintenance, and all of the minutia that comes with it.

I am a jack of all trades, with interests such as machining, welding, amateur electronics, and mechanics. That doesnt mean I'm good at any of it, but i try my best, and learn a lot from the interweb and the social media that it makes possible, such as this forum. Its not always easy meeting people of like mind, especially where I work, in Inuvik, NT. Right now the sun will not come above the horizon till about mid January, and outside it is a balmy -30 Celsius(I know, I know: metric crap!). I would almost say that being able to work in the cold, and being concious of all the little things the cold can do to equipment and people is more important than actual trade skills when it is this cold. It's not for everyone thats for sure.

While there are lots of places to get information about tools and such, this site poped up during a search, and I thought I would give it a try.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information