Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Janka wood hardness scale - photo

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 8, 2023), clydeman (Jan 7, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 7, 2023), rlm98253 (Jan 7, 2023), Sleykin (Jan 7, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The list seems to be quite incomplete

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 8, 2023), clydeman (Jan 7, 2023), Sleykin (Jan 7, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The list seems to be quite incomplete
    Frank there are literally thousands of wood. It's reasonable.

Funny thing about hardwood and softwood designations is it's tree related. As in all hardwoods have leaves.

Balsa, ahem... has leaves.

At least this scale is telling you something.

Mark

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 7, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Frank there are literally thousands of wood. It's reasonable.

Funny thing about hardwood and softwood designations is it's tree related. As in all hardwoods have leaves.

Balsa, ahem... has leaves.

At least this scale is telling you something.

Mark
    Yep A friend of mine and I would carry on a 1-word conversation with each other that could last off and on for days or even weeks or longer at a time. He and I were building a Drilling rig I was pretty much designing it on the fly as we went along. George the guy who owned the shop where we were building it and Tobey the guy we were building it for stayed in a constant state of confusion hearing Ron and I yell a single word at each other. One day George walked out to where we were assembling something, I think he thought he had figured out our system, anyway he yelled out tree. I came back with fir Ron said redwood. a month later we were still naming off different species of trees every once in a while, George would name off a tree then one day after about a month, he messed up and said Bamboo I came back with Bermuda Ron came back with St. Augustine George just shook his head and walked off. I'm not sure if he ever figured out he had inadvertently changed the topic from trees to grasses

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I don't have much to do with most of those woods other than the mahogany and teak as I am in the wooden boat business but I do have a small piece of jarrah. A client of mine bought a lake front property and wanted to it right. He bought a 200 year old house in Boston that had floors of jarrah. He had the wood nicely removed and shipped here. After it was delivered, he told the carpenters the story and said he wanted none of that wood leaving the jobsite. By the end of that day every guy had a piece in his nail bag. Because the wood is almost fireproof, those guys were using it to make devices to smoke what then was illegal...

Janka wood hardness scale - photo-img_2857-1-.png

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 7, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Petrified wood is pretty hard...
    Janka wood hardness scale - photo-img_2858.jpg

Thanks
    Ironwood is hard, but not as hard as Australian Desert Oak. Desert oak will break your axe head and take the teeth off your chainsaw chain. I’m not kidding, when Europeans first saw the aboriginals wood weapons they laughed, until they found out just how tough said wood is.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    I don't have much to do with most of those woods other than the mahogany and teak as I am in the wooden boat business but I do have a small piece of jarrah. A client of mine bought a lake front property and wanted to it right. He bought a 200 year old house in Boston that had floors of jarrah. He had the wood nicely removed and shipped here. After it was delivered, he told the carpenters the story and said he wanted none of that wood leaving the jobsite. By the end of that day every guy had a piece in his nail bag. Because the wood is almost fireproof, those guys were using it to make devices to smoke what then was illegal...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2857 (1).PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	44567
    Australian jarrah is a darker colour, and certainly will burn (we use it for firewood occasionally) but it does take a lot to get it going. It is used for floors, and other uses.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Australian Jarrah definitely ranks up there, I think what was reffered to as Australian Desert oak may also be known as Australian Buloke or Bull-Oak. Some tout it as being part of the ironwood strain which it may be here is an interesting video of a guy explaining some of the harder and softer woods as per his research he explains of a few of the many variables of wood densities and hardness testing and why one report may greatly differ from another testing report

Another chart
    Janka wood hardness scale - photo-charr.jpg
    Here in Texas and some other states a known very hard wood is called Bodark, horse apple hedge apple ETC. once dried the best way to cut it is to not even try but it is no way one of the hardest woods, just like one species of Texas Mesquite at varying stages of dryness or ageing at times it is like cutting concrete with a chainsaw while at others a good sharp axe will slice through it knocking out fist sized chips

Thread Information