Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jimmyal6777

Thanks
    I'm also in a chair and am looking for ways to convert wood shop tools [table saw, lathe ,jointer ,etc.] . Possibly some blacksmithing too.
    Thanks to all who have already given ideas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Here is a link to the manual standing/sitting wheelchair I just saw in the news.
    https://www.sralab.org/node/13147

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 31, 2017), LMMasterMariner (May 31, 2017), rlm98253 (May 31, 2017)

Thanks

Wheelchair Follow Up

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyal6777 View Post
    I am interested in all things machine shop. Recently lost my legs and currently redesigning some of my tools so I can use them from a wheelchair.
    Could use some ideas.
    My son was paralyzed (paraplegic) in a bicycle accident at fourteen, and we've spent the last 8 years figuring out ways to make it easier for him to work in our shop. The replies you've gotten so far are excellent, here's our "add"
    1) You DO need to get higher than the work surface, both for safety and to get your shoulder weight down onto the work. We looked around online classifieds and found a VA veteran selling his powered wheelchair which has an elevating seat. The thing will go up about 14", and the base is heavy enough to hold him solidly while he's working (he weighs about 240). We paid $700 for the chair used, but it retailed new at about $16K, so it was a very good deal.
    2) The standing wheelchair is a very good idea, and I saw at least one company noted for you. There's also the Standing Wheelchair Company in Michigan which makes an excellent chair, one we've tried out. It uses an assisted stand, and my son is able to go from sitting to standing with it as fast as I can stand up normally. The front of the chair comes down to the floor upon standing, so stability is very good.
    3) Our shop is a wood shop, but we've found that giving thought to the work you want to do and making sure your neck and face are "out of the line of fire" is paramount. If you can't get high enough, make sure you have some sort of protection in front of you or sit out to the side.

HOpe that helps, we'll be glad to let you know more if you need it - the thread here has already been excellent.

Tim in Ocala

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    All great points, especially the lifting chairs. Tim makes really good points. My thought is much the same that making everything lower doesn't really make sense because you still have the clearance underneath problem. Lathes, mills, etc don't have clearance underneath so it makes more sense to mod the users stance. I remember years ago seeing a guy who was an auto mech who became paralyzed from the chest down and ended up modifying a hand truck so he could stand.

My father in law made an overhead lift for a paralyzed neighbor and I think more in that direction than a lift chair. With the cheap HFT winches available with wireless remotes it would seem more affordable than these expensive chairs.

Thanks
    Hello James, my solution was to not alter the tooling but to alter the way I handle myself. I installed several roller chairs with arms. I had an overhead small bridge crane installed ( a manual elevating table could substitute). My roller chairs are high enough to operate the lathe and mill. I am still able to get around inside on a walker and a wheel chair outside. Every day is a bonus.Cheers Steve;93666]I am interested in all things machine shop. Recently lost my legs and currently redesigning some of my tools so I can use them from a wheelchair.
    Could use some ideas.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    I have not had time to look at it I work for living and i have been really busy.

Thanks
    Hello Chipmaker, sounds like you have some good ideas that can be easily put to use. I am retired. I had to quit work at age 69 due to health problems and had both legs amputated at age 73. I am now 75 and am trying to get back into things as much as I can. I was working as a diesel mechanic and doing metal fabrication at home on the side. Right now all my major equipment (lathe, end mill, etc. ) are still in storage. I am having to take this all in baby steps, as I am still in PT building up my walking skills using a walker. It has been a long haul and it is good to see someone else in my boat is doing what they love to do. After a while you learn that everything is a new challenge and you need to be resourceful and meet them with the right attitude to meet those challenges. It looks like you are doing a good job of it. Keep up the good work. I will try to keep you posted on my progress. Thank for your input.

Thanks
    Great to hear you both are doing well. I would be interested to see some pics of your setups, especially the roller chairs and lift tables.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,886 Times in 11,348 Posts
    HumanHoist is relevant here too. Not for disabled guys per se, but a good source for ideas.

Caveat: it's not cheap. However, I exchanged some emails with the company a while back. They found out that while their target market, young mechanics, was not interested in paying for one, the industry as a whole was happy to justify the up-front cost based on a long-term reduction in lost-work injuries, cumulative trauma injuries, and disability cases.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jun 13, 2019)

Thread Information