Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jimmyal6777

Thanks

Jimmyal6777

I am interested in all things machine shop. Recently lost my legs and currently redesigning some of my tools so I can use them from a wheelchair.
    Could use some ideas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimmyal6777 For This Useful Post:

JD62 (May 29, 2017), olderdan (May 28, 2017), Seedtick (May 28, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,883 Times in 11,346 Posts
    Hi jimmyal6777 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

I'm going to put this question in our newsletter to see what kind of answers you can get. Because of the more advanced technical nature of this forum, our population here generally leans toward people with higher levels of experience.

That means fewer strapping twenty-something young men , and more older guys with various disabilities and decreased physical abilities.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hi jimmyal6777,
    First of all, I'm sorry for the loss of your legs. I'm in a position of understanding to a certain extent, since I'm also a former toolmaker/machinist in a wheelchair.
    I'm just getting my shop together after 6 years, but I've had lot's of time to check out ergonomics, and about 6 months at my place of employment before we figured out I can longer do my job because of brain injuries. That was three years after the wreck, so I've put much thought into it.
    Idk exactly what you're asking for, but here's how my shop is setting up. I'm lowering most work surfaces to a comfortable working height for me. There's sometimes a compromise in ready-made tables as far as being able to get underneath with the wheelchair, so many times they'll need modified. When looking for one, it helps to test drive them first. You'll be surprised at what you find does and doesn't work for you. Like needing to work all the way around a table, since you really can't reach across. I have a Logan lathe and a couple of mid-century Craftsman drill presses. I'm building a platform for the lathe out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion so it's at height I'm comfortable working with it. I can do the same for other equipment. I think I've spoken enough about all that.
    The other problem you'll confront is handling and moving tools and supplies from one place to another. There's no easy answer for that, because anything you do to the chair upsets the balance and will wear the chair out in a hurry. I have a separate heavy-duty chair for the shop and outdoors that can handle extra weight & being thrown around. I also push a small cart around in front of me. When I had my small powerchair working, it worked well for holding and moving bigger items around. It wasn't too bad in an open shop, but mine is far too cluttered right now. People seemed to think it was a storage room while I was out of commission.
    I'm sure I didn't begin to answer your questions or tell stuff you didn't know. I'd like to hear what you're looking for. I may be looking for something similar.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KickStart For This Useful Post:

JD62 (May 29, 2017), jimmyal6777 (May 31, 2017)

Thanks
    First I am so sorry that the disability keeps you from what you love.
    I can only speculate but what about wheel chair that is raised up to the elevation to a comfortable point to work from. The only thing I would be worried about is the center of gravity. If you look at the wheel chairs that the basket ball players use to play ball with the wheels slanted outward to help displace the balance problem. If it were a bench top shop that would be easy just drop the benches, but with big boy toys we need to have the height and to get there is the problem. I wish you all the best and I feel with a little imagination you can over come. You are a machinist are you not?
    Good Luck
    Nelson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Certainly sorry for your recent misfortune. When I was teaching Industrial Technology I had to make accommodations for a few students in wheel chairs. The best solution in this situation was ramps to elevate the student to the machine.

Best wishes,

John

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

jimmyal6777 (May 31, 2017)

Thanks
    Jimmyal6777
    Another thing I have been thinking about is a lift to raise the wheelchair to the desired height. That would be very easy to design and maybe build.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

jimmyal6777 (May 31, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyal6777 View Post
    I am interested in all things machine shop. Recently lost my legs and currently redesigning some of my tools so I can use them from a wheelchair.
    Could use some ideas.
    Have you considered a standing wheelchair? Expensive but beats having to redesign your shop. The LEVO Standing Wheelchair is a site that I have discovered. By the way, I am in no way connected to this site or any other sites that advertise standing wheelchairs. My wife is in a wheelchair and I looked at this possibility some time ago for her. Wasn't an option for her with her disabilities but it might work for you. Good luck and never give up - the possibilities for you are endless.

Supporting Member Gary A. Wills's Avatar
    Thanks
    There are other ways if you don't have money for standing chair or lift in your chair. I'm also disabled since 79 so it's been awhile to learn and adapt. My power wheelchair , permobile,, German junk. It has recline and tilt, no seat lift. Ok nuff on that. I've been modifying things for years , I bought an electric hydraulic lift table to put things on to work on , I made a steal top with 2" bends upwards and on the end I welded a ramp using door hinges , with straight casters so when lowered it rolls down . Best thing I ever built for my working it will lift 2000 lbs . It puts the work at any height, second I built a jib crane from a truck crane from harbor freight , I bought steel box 4" x 4" x 10' . Welded a plate with the same hole pattern as the crane . Some friends helped dig a 16" hole 5' deep , with 4 bags of quick concrete filled the hole holding the box channel in the center as level as possible in the bottom we pushed the box in the dirt some before we poured the concrete. Now I mounted it close enough to unload anything heavy or to pick up and set stuff on the bench . I forgot I also mounted a winch on the opposite end of my bench in a receiver so if I don't need it it's not in the way. I also mounted a vise to a receiver to stick on the bench too. I've also found mounting all my machines on casters helps in many ways. My mills are and bandsaw , power hacksaw, drill presses, ones a 20" Rockwell with power feed. Welding table with receivers all around it. My welders even my rotary phase converter. All on casters , I built a shelving with a lift to move heavy vises and rotary tables to the mills . I weld with a blanket a cross my chair and me. I get burn spots on my feet more then anywhere else. I even mount my chainsaw grinder on the bench with a clip over the 2" lip . I've got more but I'm getting tired now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary A. Wills For This Useful Post:

JD62 (May 29, 2017)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Jimmyal6777,
    First, sorry for you loss, but glad to hear you're pushing forward with doing things you love.
    Sounds like you'd like to start with modifying some of your tools to get a start. Maybe you could list the tools that are top priority for you, and we could focus our ideas on those first. Then we can be more helpful, and you'll get more constructive ideas that are actually useful. Pictures of said tools and work area would also be helpful.
    My first idea was a wheelchair that allows you to stand up, as much of our tool use is in a standing position. I've seen some recent ones that are manual up/down, which should keep the cost lower, and could be re-engineered if not readily available.
    I can empathize with your situation, as I'm currently building a track chair for a client who's in a wheelchair, and is paralyzed from the armpits down, and has limited arm strength, and his hands are mostly locked in a curled position. Because of this, I've designed in many features to allow him to be as independent as possible, and still control everything himself. You can read more about it here: All Terrain Track Chair (ATTC) - Kustom's by Kent

What kind of wheelchair do you have right now?
    If your chair was heavy duty, could add a heavy duty arm on one side to support a work area in front of you. Then you could slide stuff on and off of that work area and onto another work bench. That arm and work area would pivot away from you so you could then get closer to your work.
    Redesigning the wheel chair to have the large powered wheels in front, and casters in back would allow you to get closer to work areas, and haul stuff around.
    A 4-bar linkage on the seat & back portion of your chair could be used to adjust your height with a linear actuator. That could solve a lot of your current challenges, and not have to redesign your whole work area.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and also see what other ideas members have. Hopefully you can get to working with tools again as quickly as possible!

Kent

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,883 Times in 11,346 Posts
    This thread is not complete without an inline pic of Kent's All Terrain Track Chair. One of the coolest builds on the internet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (May 30, 2017)

Thread Information