Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Joiner's toolbox

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philip Davies's Tools

Joiner's toolbox

One day, in 1984, a colleague who had been with me on a wood machining course asked whether I would like some maple, for free. Well, of course, I did. "I'll drop it round to your place," he said. And sure enough, I came home a couple of days later, to find leaning against my front wall was a section of gymnasium floor, still nailed to the joists! It measured about 10 by 6 feet, so I was able to drag it through the house, out to the back, to lean against the kitchen wall. On Saturday, I sawed through the joists (many times) and levered off the boards.
    What to do with them? As I wanted a pair of boxes, I set to and planed, with my new Black & Decker plane (an engagement present from work) until they were about half as thick, and glued them into boards, 5 at a time.

And eventually I had two toolboxes. This was the better of the twoJoiner's toolbox-image.jpg

The drawer fronts are iroko, salvaged from a bank.

Here is the saw till which folds into the front lid.Joiner's toolbox-image.jpg

Originally, I made carrying handles which would lock into the side handles, and would also act as support bars for a temporary worktop, but I have always kept the box at home. It is chock full now. This shows the side handle and rosewood wedge to close it shut. Joiner's toolbox-image.jpg

The box contains my best tools and I seldom have to come indoors to get anything now, in fact I don't do a lot of joinery any more. The other box is now a cupboard for ordinary bench planes on the wall of my workshopJoiner's toolbox-image.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Jon (01-25-2016), kbalch (01-25-2016), Paul Jones (01-25-2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Philip! We've added your Joiners Toolbox to our Toolboxes category, as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (01-26-2016)

Thread Information