Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Kill switch extension cord.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

Kill switch extension cord.

As a title says.

This is my kill switch extension cord.
    Its a plate that's been bend to 90 degree angle.

To the longest side, i mounted a kill switch and electric outlet.
    In the shortest side is a magnet. ( 15 kg lifting magnet )

Kill switch extension cord.-fb_img_1623203880290.jpg

Easy to change to what ever electric tool i use.
    Kill switch extension cord.-fb_img_1623203885938.jpg

Specially with tablesaw, this is usefull.
    When put to the floor its much easier to reach it with your feet.
    Than power switch that's placed to the side of the saw, with your hand.

Kill switch extension cord.-fb_img_1623203890721.jpg

Usually you can see, hear, or feel when workpiece that you are cutting, doesn't go straight. Then risk of "kickback" gets higher.
    One can try to pull workpiece back, lift it off or something.. but, its sometimes tricky. Specially with wide boards, both hands on it.

Then just stamp to the killswitch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 13, 2021), Beserkleyboy (Jun 9, 2021), DIYer (Jun 9, 2021), Frank S (Jun 9, 2021), Jon (Jun 9, 2021), kess (Jun 10, 2021), NortonDommi (Jun 10, 2021), rlm98253 (Jun 9, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 11, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A great Idea
    I have a Shopsmith wood lathe with table saw and jig saw attachment's your kill sw. build just gave me idea to mount on on my machine

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 10, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Tuomas! We've added your Kill Switch Extension Cord to our Extension Cords category,
    as well as to your builder page: Tuomas's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks Tuomas, my cabinet saw is wired direct, but the switch is on the front, easily diverted to the floor...AND I've got a big red kill switch in my misc elect box(s). Cheers
    Jim in rainy cold Sth Cst AUS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 10, 2021)

Thanks

delalio's Tools
    Great work. I literally made one of these on Tuesday for my lathe / pillar drill / grinder / etc... Video coming soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delalio For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 10, 2021)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by delalio View Post
    Great work. I literally made one of these on Tuesday for my lathe / pillar drill / grinder / etc... Video coming soon.
    Thanks. I made a video too. But, i thought its too simple, and pictures are enough.

Outlets and connections are different here, so it wouldn't have been very useful video to people outside northern europe.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Great idea, Tuomas, and very nice implementation.

For the benefit of folks contemplating building their own kill extension cord, please allow me to offer a few thoughts on the subject...

A big red button is visible and easy to actuate but one must consider its location as well. I once had a table saw arrangement that had a horizontal bar kill switch across the front edge near the user's hips. Pressure on this bar would stop the saw. No hunting for the kill switch with hand or foot; just bump the table with your hip. Putting such a bar across the front of the drip pan on the lathe would be even better. If you got entangled and the machine started pulling you in you would without thinking hit the bar and shut down the lathe.

This led me to the following concept for a kill switch mechanization...

Separate, dedicated, tailored switches permanently mounted to each machine. To keep costs down, low current switches would be used. In turn these switches would interface via light-weight signal wire to a relay that controlled the power switching in the extension cord. A better description of this arrangement is discussed in my remote controlled relay post...

Remotely controlled relay
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 11, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post

For the benefit of folks contemplating building their own kill extension cord, please allow me to offer a few thoughts on the subject...

A big red button is visible and easy to actuate but one must consider its location as well. I once had a table saw arrangement that had a horizontal bar kill switch across the front edge near the user's hips. Pressure on this bar would stop the saw. No hunting for the kill switch with hand or foot; just bump the table with your hip. Putting such a bar across the front of the drip pan on the lathe would be even better. If you got entangled and the machine started pulling you in you would without thinking hit the bar and shut down the lathe.

Separate, dedicated, tailored switches permanently mounted to each machine. To keep costs down, low current switches would be used. In turn these switches would interface via light-weight signal wire to a relay that controlled the power switching in the extension cord. A better description of this arrangement is discussed in my remote controlled relay post...

Agreed; Marv in addition there are some instances where I can see a benefit of a triggered spring loaded braking mechanism attached to the idea of a push bar. Press against the bar the micro switch cuts power to the magnetic motor controller at the same time it trips the trigger locking down the machine much the same way those annoying lawnmower blade stops work.
    I never thought I'd say this but at least once I have been glad to have a blade stop on my push mower
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post

Yep. I was thinking the same, that in actual emergency, this kind of button doesn't always work, you need to hit it.

So, because i seem to be more mechanical, than digital guy.
    Started to plan new version, that works somewhat same way than mousetrap.

One that works when you kick it or something like that, without need to hit the actual button ( its somewhat small target )

Electrical version would be better.
    I will ready your text about the relay with attention.
    Last edited by Tuomas; Jun 11, 2021 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    Yep. I was thinking the same, that in actual emergency, this kind of button doesn't always work, you need to hit it.
    One that works when you kick it or something like that, without need to hit the actual button ( its somewhat small target )
    Perhaps a mercury switch in an appropriately shaped box. Knock the box over and the switch turns circuit off. Another possibility is a plumb bob in a ring. When the container is jostled the bob hits the ring and completes the circuit that disables the power.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information