Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ladder jack scaffold - GIF

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Small companies are all run by Tin Pot Richard Potato Heads Also know as Dick Taters.
    Pretty wide generalization there...so you became the "Dick Tater" and been one for 35 years?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Pretty wide generalization there...so you became the "Dick Tater" and been one for 35 years?
    Hard to argue when you make sense! I have had helpers off and on for years. At one point I had 30 people working in my Cabinet Shop. I found it to much pressure. I had no sales people and it was a lot to be responsible for so many people. So I wound it all down back to one. I have worked hard to train and teach my helpers. Many are no in the construction trades and working well. I treated them well and have stayed friends with all of them. So that's something. Maybe benevolent dictator Most of the 6 or 7 small companies I have worked for I am still on speaking terms. Not all. The one I mentioned I have helped him out on large projects off and on for decades. But it is only temporary. Hired gun and out now. Plus I am getting old and cranky.

Mark

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It's not the homeowners fault if a worker falls, it never is.
    .I don't mean to rag on this, but it has happened before to a guy I once knew.
    Explain that in the court when a worker happens to slip in a pet chew or your child's forgotten toy or trips over your garden hose while carrying your new windows. Sure his company's ins. is going to pay the worker's medico but at the same time the company's insurance company will try to recover their losses from the homeowner in any way they can. That is one of the reasons for having an umbrella policy attached to your homeowner's policy.
    In the case where the ladders are standing on 1 property while the work is being performed on another what is the guy's automatic sprinkler system turned on and the broken sprinkler head saturated the ground causing the ladder to slip who would be at fault there? So yes, there are possible scenarios where the homeowner could be found liable.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 3, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    .I don't mean to rag on this, but it has happened before to a guy I once knew.
    Explain that in the court when a worker happens to slip in a pet chew or your child's forgotten toy or trips over your garden hose while carrying your new windows.
    could be found liable.
    The old canard....it happened to a friend of a friends cousin in laws sister's aunt.

We arent talking about hazards left lying around in someone's yard or home, we are discussing a guy falling from a platform he brought to a worksite for his own use.

THAT is NEVER the homeowners problem.

Take my word for it (I had twenty two years in the insurance business before I moved on), I know an umbrella extension on a homeowners policy is cheap but it's still a waste of money and a magnet for frivolous claims.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The .THAT is NEVER the homeowners problem. Take my word for it (I had twenty two years in the insurance business before I moved on), I know an umbrella extension on a homeowners policy is cheap but it's still a waste of money and a magnet for frivolous claims.
    On that note it seems we will have to agree to disagree on the whole subject. While we can agree in a perfect world the homeowner should not be subjected to shoulder any of the responsibilities of a worker taking a fall from a scaffold he or his company brought to the jobsite. And just about everyone knows that not all contractors are as fully insured as they might think they are or claim to be. Not all states even require small contractor companies to carry workmen's comp. if fewer that a certain number of employees or single individual contractors without employees. Not all work done on people's homes is even done by contractor companies in the first place but rather just handymen hired by the homeowners who at such time are the Defacto contractors themselves, who bare full responsibility for the actions and welfare of the worker, which brings up the problem of erecting a structure on, or using a neighboring property for any reason, sometimes as a homeowner their own insurance company will try by any means to avoid paying out injury claims, if there is any posibility of making another ins company or policy holder pay.
    In my 55+ years in the job life I have owned several small companies, at times multiples at the same time I've set up guys in their own contracting businesses held their businesses under my own umbrella policies paid workmen's ins. for them when they were getting started. I've even a few times gone to work as a wage slave or a consultant myself at times when my own company was between jobs or times were getting leaner than comfortable just so I could have enough income to keep a couple of my own employees on payroll or to meet other obligations.

Thanks
    On that note it seems we will have to agree to disagree on the whole subject.
    Just because you have the time to ramble on ad nauseum it doesn't make you right.

In this instance you are out of your realm and mistaken.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Just because you have the time to ramble on ad nauseum it doesn't make you right.

In this instance you are out of your realm and mistaken.
    Call it what you will.
    But making bold claims like the homeowner is never responsible is not correct
    As a homeowner, you can hire a contractor to perform any number of construction jobs at your home. While homeowners are usually focused on making sure the contractor stays on deadline and within budget, there are a variety of legal issues to note as well.

Depending on the circumstances of the injury, homeowners can be held liable for injuries sustained by the contractor on the job. Whether or not the homeowner is liable will depend on the circumstances surrounding the accident, his or her involvement in maintaining the property, and the level of control he or she exercises over the job. It could also depend on the provisions in your homeowner’s insurance policy, as discussed later on.

Premises Liability

Premises liability is a legal concept meaning that the owner of a property is liable for injuries sustained on the property due to dangerous conditions, lack of maintenance, or certain other factors. Premises liability applies in a number of different situations, including slip-and-fall accidents, swimming pool accidents, animal attacks, and construction site accidents. While accidents and falls are a normal part of life, a property owner has a duty to maintain the property and repair hazardous conditions; failure to do so could result in liability for injuries.

There are three types of “property visitors” when it comes to premises liability discussions: invitees, licensees, and trespassers. Contractors working on a private home are typically considered invitees because they have been invited to the property to do business. Homeowners owe the highest degree of care to invitees, and as such, they must promptly address unsafe conditions and make sure the property is safe for the contractor. Essentially, the homeowner must provide a reasonably safe place to work.
    https://www.maggianolaw.com/blog/are...er%20the%20job.
    https://www.personalinjurylawyer.com...ble-contractor

Thanks
    Essentially, the homeowner must provide a reasonably safe place to work.
    We are all able to copy and paste insurance quotes off the internet, that information has nothing to do with some guy voluntarily coming onto a property (neighbors or otherwise) and erecting his own equipment and creating an exposure for anyone but himself.

If you don't invite a vampire into your house they can't cross the threshold either.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information