Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-digital-dial-indicator-mount-stop.jpg

As with many of my ‘Scrap Metal Engineering’ projects ~ Try to use what items and material I have on hand in the workshop.

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-lathe-stop-parts-avaliable.jpg

Designed the Lathe Carriage Stop & Digital Indicator Mount in SolidWorks using the available materials.

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-solidworks-concept-design.jpg

Used the Lathe and the Milling Machine to make the Parts ...

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-milling-adjustment-shaft-02.jpg

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-turning-mount-lathe-02.jpg

You can see the finished item's first Lathe cuts on YouTube:

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-youtube-video-lathe-carriage-stop.jpg

Put the complete build images on: https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...tal-indicator/

Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator-g0750g-carriage-stop.jpg

Nothing Fancy but it will work for my Projects.

-- CHEERS ...

Just having fun with the JEEP Guitar: https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...ck-lit-guitar/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 23, 2014 at 04:28 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

Cogslayer (Aug 21, 2016), kbalch (Dec 19, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Charles,

Great video showing all the features of your design. I like your use of SolidWorks to show the concepts and assemblies. Also, how do you like the G0750G lathe?

The reason I am asking is because next month I will be installing a similar but older (and much dirtier) version of this lathe model in my home shop. Seeing your work in action on the G0750G convinced me to try the same type of carriage stop/indicator holder design on the old lathe.

Thank you, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

MetalDesigner (Dec 19, 2014)

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    The Digital indicator was only about $30 and is very accurate but the best part why I like it over my dial indicator (in this situation) is I can switch between inch and mm on same part.
    Have a part making now that have special tool ground whereby I face off then press Zero on inch setting and cut in 0.125 then press mm and move in 5mm and cut snap-ring groove then another 11mm and cut another groove then press inch and move another 0.075" and part off. Simple to make now.
    Still like using normal dial indicator to true up items ... Just got a NOGA indicator holder -WOW!!!

Yes the G0750G is a nice Lathe and the finish of even quick single cuts is better than expected. New model so had to wait 4 months for it to arrive but is was worth the wait. (Taper attachment took 9 months)

If this is any indication then you should like your lathe... Half the fun is repairing and fixing and modifying them!! Little degreaser and paint and yours will be good to go!!

Lighting seems to be the key to my happiness *grin*... The lathe room is like a light box and Added those extra adjustable lights (earlier post on my website) on the milling machine and really makes the process so much easier being able to see the texture of cuts. All about getting the light angle adjusted just right ~ Every part seems different light angle needed. Sure everyone else already but me knew this but the light adjustment really helps on the mill.

Thanks for the Note!! CHEERS!!!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Slick project! That SolidWorks model is also pretty good.

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    I really like seeing uses of SolidWorks (and SprutCAM) now that have been watching NYC CNC on YouTube and have seen the many advanced features. Currently there is a limited one-year expiring license for the SolidWorks Student Edition that some sites have listed for less than $100 (compared to the full blown version at $3995). Learning to use SolidWorks is on my list of things to do in retirement. In the meantime I have been using TurboCAD which has improved tremendously in the last 20 years.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    I really like seeing uses of SolidWorks (and SprutCAM) now that have been watching NYC CNC on YouTube and have seen the many advanced features. Currently there is a limited one-year expiring license for the SolidWorks Student Edition that some sites have listed for less than $100 (compared to the full blown version at $3995). Learning to use SolidWorks is on my list of things to do in retirement. In the meantime I have been using TurboCAD which has improved tremendously in the last 20 years.
    ... And the Full Full Full blown 'Premium' version with everything is over twice that to start and about 2k+ per year after that :-) I bought it for my normal robotics work and worth every penny... but sure is nice to use for these just for fun projects also

Would love to see photos of your lathe when it arrives! Even before you clean it up. Saw a photo online the other day of this perfectly good big Ole' Lodge & Shipley Lathe sitting in a field with brush growing through it *sigh*

NYC NC has some great stuff as does KEITH RUCKER ~ Vintage Machinery YouTube Channel and TOM LIPTON -OX Tools and Adam Booth Machine Shop ABOM79 on YouTube.

Have a Great Day!!

Thanks
    Thanks MetalDesigner! I've added your Lathe Carriage Stop Digital Indicator to our Machining and Measuring and Marking categories, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    I think we all watch the same experts and also don't forget Randy Richard's (aka Catfish on HMT) "in the Shop" YouTube videos.

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Very nice job ..

Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Good tips on those sites to watch. I've been wanting to learn those programs but have been put off by the steep learning curve. Plenty of things to do, not enough time!

Thread Information