Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe Surface Finish Tool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Lathe Surface Finish Tool

This not mine, I just got the link from another forum I am on. I have never seen anything like this and am not even sure what to call it.

The video is well done. The pace is excellent with no annoying music or narration. Only clear, well lit shots, machine sounds and chips flying. I did not even have to hit the 2X speed button, or skip over parts. Some of you Tubers on here should take notes on how to make a good video.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

albertq (Dec 18, 2023), Carnel (Dec 15, 2023), DIYSwede (Dec 11, 2023), ductape (Dec 11, 2023), flyfr8rs (Dec 13, 2023), Jon (Dec 11, 2023), nova_robotics (Dec 12, 2023), Philip Davies (Dec 14, 2023), piper184 (Dec 12, 2023), schuylergrace (Dec 17, 2023), seb fontana (Dec 12, 2023), Sleykin (Dec 17, 2023), uv8452 (Dec 17, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Interesting tool and very good presentation. It may not be a bad idea to add a cover or wiper on it to prevent chips from getting in between the moving parts. Good find!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Now this is more like what we want to see on here instead of someone falling off there bicycle somewhere in india or wherever.
    Great job hemmjo. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks

trevor_60_r's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    This not mine, I just got the link from another forum I am on. I have never seen anything like this and am not even sure what to call it.

The video is well done. The pace is excellent with no annoying music or narration. Only clear, well lit shots, machine sounds and chips flying. I did not even have to hit the 2X speed button, or skip over parts. Some of you Tubers on here should take notes on how to make a good video.

Hi Hemmjo

It is called a Lathe Burnishing Tool.

I Made one a while ago with just a roller bearing but haven't had time to post some photos of the one i made. Not quite as flash as this one but still did the job. What it does is smooths out the high spots from when you have machined a cylindrical part. What you have to do is make sure that the part is really clean and plenty of oil is applied, otherwise you will be rolling the dirt and other crap into the surface. Don't ask me how i know as it happened the first time i tried it.

Here is a link to a web site that explains it and they have some videos. This company is called Cogsdill. The ones that they use are for CNC machines and very technical.

(From what i have worked out you only need a small contact area, maybe 2mm wide and set your feed the same as you had for nice machined finish. I may be wrong on this last bit so anyone please feel free to enlighten me).

This could be why in this video the ball bearing running up against the other bearing gives a nice finish.

There is other information on the internet about them if you search for Lathe Burnishing Tool.

https://cogsdill.com/products/burnis...nishing-tools/

Cheers,
    Trevor

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by trevor_60_r; Dec 12, 2023 at 02:33 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trevor_60_r For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Dec 12, 2023), nova_robotics (Dec 12, 2023), uv8452 (Dec 17, 2023)

Thread Information