My 65 year old Le blond has had a problimatic cross feed since I have owned it. SO I finally got fed up with it.
It had part of a taper attachment but not the whole thing so someone had shimmed the end of the cross feed screw with washers. the whole thing also stuck out the back of the lathe about 10"
After disassembly I found here were no thrust bearings anywhere on the screw SO what I did was to cut off the extra portion then threaded the inside of the screw to 1/2 13 TPI and reassembled with a thrust bearing on both sides of the rear guide
now it doesn't take half a turn to take up the slack to move the cross slide like before which was very aggravating if making light cuts