Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Limo camper - photo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Jun 1, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 1, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My uncle out in Phoenix bought a camper about that size for his pickup the only problem was his 63 Chevy pickup was only a half ton and to top that off had torsion bar front suspension and coil spring rear. Us kids named the truck wobbles because that was all it did going down the highway. I imagine that stretched pickup being all jacked up with a bout a 10 inch lift kit would do much the same even though it is probably a 1 ton truck

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 1, 2022 at 11:42 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Jun 1, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 1, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    My uncle out in Phoenix bought a camper about that size for his pickup the only problem was his 63 Chevy pickup was only a half ton and to top that off had torsion bar front suspension and coil spring rear. Us kids named the truck wobbles because that was all it did going down the highway. I imagine that stretched pickup being all jacked up with a bout a 10 inch lift kit would do much the same even though it is probably a 1 ton truck
    They had coils in the back? Crazy. I would have bet money given the year they were leaf springs. Good to know.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I wonder if the motrcyle on the front bumper is just there for transport or a needed counterweight to keep the front end from lifting up in the air...

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    From early 60s to early 70s (not sure exact range, but ended with square body intro in 73) GM offered 2 truck rear suspension options. Trailing arms with coils or leaf springs. Coils rode better with light loads, leafs for working trucks. I've owned several of each. But to my knowledge the front suspension on GM trucks never had torsion bars until they went to IFS in the late 80s and early 90s.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Pretty sure his had torsion front like my Plymouth Belvedere, Know it had coils in the rear because I help[ed my dad insert a couple pairs of those twist in coil Seperators to try and stiffen up the rear suspension for my uncle How he ever managed to drive that thing from AZ to Texas is still a mystery . About the only way to keep it from wandering all over the road was to hook up a small trailer behind it and use a load equalizing hitch with anti sway braces attached as well.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
    From early 60s to early 70s (not sure exact range, but ended with square body intro in 73) GM offered 2 truck rear suspension options. Trailing arms with coils or leaf springs. Coils rode better with light loads, leafs for working trucks. I've owned several of each. But to my knowledge the front suspension on GM trucks never had torsion bars until they went to IFS in the late 80s and early 90s.
    I was a Chevy parts counter man for a few years and I can tell you for sure they did have front torsion bars, 60-63 if my memory serves. I still have a copy of the Chevy truck parts book that covers 1972 and back 10 through 30 series trucks and it shows parts breakdowns for the torsion bars. It actually has listings on some that went back into the 1920's.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baja For This Useful Post:

Baddog (Jun 2, 2022), Frank S (Jun 2, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks baja; I was getting ready to haul out all of my old repair manuals to double check incase I was misremembering. I didn't think I was since I have worked on a lot of different vehicles over the years, but that fact has a way of causing makes to run together. Just like Ford came out with their twin I beam front suspension in 1964 and Dodge didn't come out with an A arm car type front suspension until 1972

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 2, 2022)

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Well then, I stand corrected. I owned a number of that body style, but never liked the knee breakers (windshield wrap around), so generally avoid the very early ones, and I guess that's how I missed them. The ones I owned back in the day often got square body front suspension cradles swapped in along with rear axles as part of suspension, brake and 5 lug upgrades (71 & 72 IIRC for the rear coils bolt-in). I thought I knew them very well, but I guess you just don't know what you don't know.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Billy Bob and Daisy Lou are goin' to prom tonight! And later some dirt bikin' YEE HAW!! Best prom EVER!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thread Information