Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Machining gears in South Asia - video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,831 Times in 9,929 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 20, 2023), nova_robotics (Apr 19, 2023), piper184 (Apr 20, 2023), Ralphxyz (Apr 22, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Hard to imagine not machining a sleeve for his arbor that would have been a proper fit between the arbor and gear blanks to hold concentricity.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 20, 2023), nova_robotics (Apr 19, 2023), piper184 (Apr 20, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Hard to imagine not machining a sleeve for his arbor that would have been a proper fit between the arbor and gear blanks to hold concentricity.
    At 16:15 in, the hand grinding of the gear cutter, just how does this match the gear specifications? I can't see their machine threads lasting with the cheater bars they use to tighten everything.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 19, 2023), nova_robotics (Apr 19, 2023), piper184 (Apr 20, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    How does used motor oil perform as a cutting fluid? I've always been told it's terrible and not to use it, so I've never tried. They might not have access to proper cutting fluid, but I would imagine kerosene would be readily available.

Also they really need a dial indicator.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Apr 19, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    How does used motor oil perform as a cutting fluid? I've always been told it's terrible and not to use it, so I've never tried. They might not have access to proper cutting fluid, but I would imagine kerosene would be readily available.

That previous video of the same work shop that was making roller chain sprockets, did all the work without an indicator, just an antique caliper, and eyeball.
    Oh ya the tape measure.
    Seems all their jobs would have some eccentric runout, that you could hear when the machines were running.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 20, 2023)

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Some would spend big big $ for better machinery that could produce gears that last longer.

These guys probably just make another gear....

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    Some would spend big big $ for better machinery that could produce gears that last longer.

These guys probably just make another gear....
    If they did buy new machinery, they would just destroy it with their fine machining talent.

Watch this video that was posted here earlier;
    Machining sprockets in the third world - video

Note at 1:27 in, the guy hits the disk, watch how loose the jaw is in the chuck. They've overtight'nd those jaws so many times the whole chuck needs replacing. And if you watch how they tighten the tool post clamping screws, I bet they get stripped out as well.
    Yes, they make stuff, but probably one off's that are emergency repairs.
    And the kid shows up again spraying water coolant as they keep dulling the cutting tool with their 'precision' sharpening methods.
    It's easy for me to sit back and criticize, they are making parts, even though questionable quality. Probably just good enough.

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Yeah, I've been watching these "other worldly" videos with great curiosity.

They have crappy machines and questionable skills. Hard to know if the skills caused the crappy machines or if all they could get was crappy machines and developed the "skills" to run what they have.

It is amazing to see what they can do with what they have available. Our ancestors sharpened sticks on rocks too, we just developed a little faster in a differing society.

A lot of the things I see them do makes me cringe and I would never do that to my machines. But I might, if I had their machines, and didn't know any better.

I think my heart stopped momentarily when I saw them tossing large chunks of raw stock up onto the ways! Then later I saw the guy do it again and then he moved a rag out of the way after getting the stock in the chuck. Maybe the machine wasn't hurt as bad as I first thought....

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post

I thought they were using Sulfurized cutting oil, that I think in the old days started out as rendered animal fat. I recall using it on rigid electrical conduit back when my first job was working this trade.
    So I looked up using automotive oil, not lots of hits, but it can be used.
    I have used pump fed cutting oil, Mobil Gamma on my mill, but typically it's too messy, so I just baby the cuts and don't push the feed hard.
    Just seems that cutting oil is a coolant to prevent the heat treat of the cutting tool going soft and dulling the edge. Probably more to it for those high rate of removal production shops.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information