Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Man struck by lightning - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Man struck by lightning - GIF

Indonesian man struck by lightning. He survived with minor burns.

Previously:

Lightning strikes transformer - GIF
    Man nearly struck by lightning - GIF
    SUV hit by lightning - GIF
    Colliding lightning bolts - GIF
    Lightning hits sailboat - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Jul 23, 2022), EnginePaul (Apr 18, 2022), NortonDommi (Apr 15, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 16, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Damn lucky. Years ago as a spotter at a trials meet in some real bad weather I was standing next to a tree and just stepped away for the lunch break and decision on whether to cancel when lightning struck it. I got blown off my feet and was picking out splinters for weeks despite a lot of heavy clothing. That is a lot of energy.Most of it must have flashed over his surface to ground.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Been there. I was working at a Scout camp in upstate New York on July 4, 1989, and got struck by ground lighting. It wasn't even raining.

Think about what it feels like to lick the contacts on a 9-volt battery. Now imagine a battery the size of a Buick Electra.

1.21 gigawatts of electricity, and every bit of it hurts like hell. If I didn't have holes in the rubber soles of my shoes, my left foot would have blown clean off, but instead it took almost thirty years and a secondary injury to cost me that leg.

Lightning has no pity, no remorse, and no sense of humor.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Wow, the closest I came was from ground effects from a strike a block away or so...riding my bicycle during a downpour. Felt like I got kicked in the chest and big sparks from my fingers to the brake levers. I got off and curled up inside a nearby carport until it passed.

Won't do THAT again.

My Dad was at a Scout Camp many years ago when lightning went from one tree to the one he was standing next to. He didn't get a shock but he did get hit by a big chunk of smoking Ponderosa Pine bark that came off.

Thanks
    A typical lightning flash is about 300 million volts. Though in India 2014 they claimed to have recorded the biggest thunderstorm ever with 1.3 billion volts. Man-made voltage barely reached 3 million volts. Lightening survivors are often plagued with debilitating side effects: Burns, pain, headaches, fatigue, memory loss and insomnia. Other survivors report strange side-effects: Psychic abilities. A famous case was "Greta Alexander" in Illinois 1960, following her lightning incident she began to notice that things were different. She could see images and hear sounds that were not physically present. She began working with police across the country on missing persons cases. She was able to lead authorities to a number of bodies including a three year old who had fallen into an abandoned well, a young woman who was killed by her boyfriend and an elderly couple that had drawn.
    A nurse from Nashville, after struck by lightning in May 1985, discovered that watches would no longer work, losing 10-20 minutes and becoming unreliable. At first, she thought that she was buying watches that were too inexpensive. It took her a couple of years to realize it wasn't the watches, but was "Her" that was the problem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information